cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading Accus in Battery Grip on R or R5

Gerhard56
Contributor

Hi,

I bought an EOS R with battery grip. I found out so far, that I only can charge the accus inside the grip using the AC adapter which was sold with the grip. No other adapter / laptop / powerbank works. This isn't really helpful.

My son bought an EOS R5 and the battery grip. There was no AC adapter included with the grip and he found out so far, that only the Apple adapter from his girfriends iPhone works. This is also not really practicable.

How can we charge our cameras / battery grips from some unspecific USB source like Wall adapters, Powerbanks, Laptops (we use HP & Asus)?

I will buy a R5 or R3 soon, and there is a need to solve this issue in advance.

With best regards

Gerhard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you are having trouble using USB-C to charge your camera, this video may help. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Gerhard56 wrote:

Hi,

I bought an EOS R with battery grip. I found out so far, that I only can charge the accus inside the grip using the AC adapter which was sold with the grip. No other adapter / laptop / powerbank works. This isn't really helpful.

My son bought an EOS R5 and the battery grip. There was no AC adapter included with the grip and he found out so far, that only the Apple adapter from his girfriends iPhone works. This is also not really practicable.

How can we charge our cameras / battery grips from some unspecific USB source like Wall adapters, Powerbanks, Laptops (we use HP & Asus)?

I will buy a R5 or R3 soon, and there is a need to solve this issue in advance.

With best regards

Gerhard

What is an "accus"?  What brand of battery grip are you using?  Canon does not support third party gear.

I do not think the Canon battery grips support USB charging. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,
Canon sold special battery grips for heir cameras, and this grips have an USB-C socket. My grip for the EOS R have a AC adapter includes, which charges the batteries IN the battery grip.
The battery grip for the EOS R5 is different and there was no AC adapter included. In the manual of the grip you found a description how to charge the batterie IN the grip connecting the camera via its USB-C socket to SOME AC adapter with USB socket.
==> charging of the batteries IN the grips is recommended by Canon.
BUT: It works only with some adapters and thats not nice.

With best regards

Gerhard

Camera batteries can supply a lot of power, so it takes a lot to chage them. I am sure you need a high power adapter. What is your question?

If you are having trouble using USB-C to charge your camera, this video may help. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I see you selected my video link as a solution to your charging problem. Can you tell us what part of the video was the solution? It may help others with the same problem.

Mike Sowsun

Hi Mike,
I learned, that I need a PD socket.
I am a technician and I cant understand the technical reason for the PD socket. Less power, longer charging. Even better than no charging.
And, the two batteries in the grip were charged one after the other, not simultan, so why that high power requirements.

I also learned how to charge the battery insid the R it is the same procedure to load a battery inside a R5.

With best regards

Gerhard

Hi Mike,
bad news.
We bought a new laptop (13") we use for travelling about a year ago. This laptop has this USB-C sockets, two of them and the AC adapter of this laptop is connected to one of this sockets. So the AC adapter has a USB-C plug and the AC adapter is rated for 65W.
BUT: When I connect my EOS R with battery grip using the battery grips USB-C socket nothing happens.
Why? Did I need a Canon AC adapter? Thats pretty useless. The idea behind USB in general and USB-C is to use SOME AC adapter or car adapter to load ANY USB-C device.
Maybe there is lot more to investigate for now.

I only know, that my son has to use the AC adapter from his girlfriends iPhone to load his R5 with battery grip. There was NO AC adapter included when he buy the battery grip.
I am a Canon fan since 1975 (Canon AE1), but this isn't really Canon style.

With best regards

Gerhard

The LP-E6N and the LPE-6NH are high capacity batteries that need high voltage and capacity to charge. I originally thought it would be impossible to charge a 7.2V battery with a 5V USB circuit. 

I am not sure what "magic" is used but I suspect your problem may still be one of the items covered in that video I linked to.

Mike Sowsun

I haven't looked at the circuit in the camera but they could either be using a DC to DC inverter to step up the 5V from the USB port to a higher voltage, in that case the current draw is substantially greater than that needed to charge the pack since the wattage on the input side of the inverter chip will be at least 10% greater than the wattage on the output side to provide for the charging current/voltage requirement and to account for the less than 100% efficiency of the inverter.

Another possibility is the LP-E6 series allows split charger where the two 3.6 volt internal cells in the battery are charged in a controlled parallel instead of serial mode so required charging voltage is 1/2 of normal.

I experienced a problem with a brand new LP-E6NH battery which is going back to Adorama today for exchange.  The LP-E6 design is not something I like, the scheme is a bit too clever leading to reduced reliability.  Canon issued a customer service note to get around one of the problems for the LP-E6 battery not charging but the basic design will never yield the reliability of the simpler pack designs used in their 1 series and in many other bodies.  Canon does best when it stays away from gimmicks and produces high performance cameras which is what they had done for years.  I am afraid that Sony competition is falsely driving them into "feature creep" at the cost of solid functionality.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements