cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue tethering 1DX II to MacBook M1 Pro and iPad Pro M1

corbinwesler
Apprentice

Hey all,

I have a pretty peculiar issue going on with tethering my 1DX Mark II to both my MacBook Pro M1 Pro and my iPad Pro M1. When I connect the camera via a Tether Tools micro B to USB-C cable to either of the devices, none of my software will connect to the camera (EOS Utility 3, Lightroom, CaptureOne -- this will actually recognize, but throw a timeout error). It's basically the same story with my iPad Pro M1.

These combos work:
- Use a Tether Tools micro-B to USB-C cable connected to Apple Studio Display and use that as a hub.
- Use a generic micro-B to USB-A cable plugged into a Targus USB-A to USB-C hub connected to the studio display.

These combos don't work:
- Use a Tether Tools micro-B to USB-C cable connected directly into the MacBook and iPad.
- Use a generic micro-B to USB-A cable plugged into the Targus USB-A to USB-C hub connected directly to the Macbook/iPad.
- Use a generic micro-B to USB-A cable plugged into a USB-A to USB-C adapter connected to the Macbook/iPad.
- Use a generic micro-B to USB-A cable plugged into a USB-A to USB-C adapter connected to the Studio Display.

Basically, for the most part, whenever I plug it directly into the MacBook or iPad, my software doesn't detect it. It only works when plugged into the Studio Display.

Mac OS's System Information app shows that a Canon device is connected to the USB-C ports, so Mac OS is detecting it when it's plugged directly into the laptop.

I don't have any issues if I were to plug it into my 2019 MacBook intel i7 that I got from work. That laptop is on Big Sur.

My personal laptop specs are:
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16gb RAM, Mac OS Ventura (same thing happened with Monterey... I was hoping the update would fix it.)

My 1DX Mark II has the latest firmware update as well.

Any ideas as to what might be going on, and how to get my camera to tether directly to my MacBook?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

corbinwesler
Apprentice

I got it working again. I re-installed the 1.1.8 firmware, and now my 1DX II is once again connecting to my MacBook as expected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

In general, using USB port adapters do not work.  Does not matter if you are using an Apple or Windows product.  How long are your USB cables?  Have tried an Apple cable, instead of generic or third arty cable?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The Tether Tools cable is a solid 6-8 feet long, and the generic cable I was trying is a short cable from an external hard drive that's only a few inches long. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't manufacture/sell Micro-B cables.

@herringburdenso wrote:

It makes no difference whether you use an Apple or a Windows product. What is the length of your USB cables? 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Issue-tethering-1DX-II-to-MacBook-M1-... doodle jump

OP already stated that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

corbinwesler
Apprentice

I got it working again. I re-installed the 1.1.8 firmware, and now my 1DX II is once again connecting to my MacBook as expected.

@corbinwesler wrote:

Congratulations!  I am glad to hear you got it working.  However, I doubt updating the camera firmware had anything to do with it.  The update and it working again are most likely a mere coincidence.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements