cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to install Russian language onto my Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Any suggestions?

FormerKievan
Apprentice

Dear Forum Members:

I need to install Russian language onto my Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Seems that I have Asian version camera with 3 languages preinstalled: English, Japanese, Mandarin. Trying to add Russian language to menues and commands.

Any suggestions how to do it?

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

You can download the latest firmware for your camera from www.canon.ru.

I assume you know how to read Russian in order to navigate on website.

I think this is the direct link to the firmware download page.

Peter
Authority
Authority

You can't change it with a firmware. This is an hardware feature/issue that Canon and many Japanese camera companies have done.

Learn how to use the English menu or send it in for replaceing the motherboard.

Edit: I was wrong. It is just an on/off feature in camera hidden for the user.

@Peter wrote:

You can't change it with a firmware. This is an hardware feature/issue that Canon and many Japanese camera companies have done.

Learn how to use the English menu or send it in for replaceing the motherboard.

Once a firmware update has been released, you can update it with firmware. It is only prior to the first firmware update that you are stuck with the language the camera shipped with.

Have you tried this yourself? The picture below is taken with firmware 1.1.2 and after that you can see yourself how it looks like updated to 1.1.3.

_MG_0186.jpg

Namnlös.jpg

amfoto1
Authority

I have never before heard of cameras that required hardware changes to add/change menu languages. Certainly hasn't been the case with any Canon DSLR I've ever used (though I must admit I don't read and haven't tried to use many of those languages).

According to the Canon Europe website, the 5DIII should come pre-loaded with 25 languages:

English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean and Japanese

According to the description, the latest firmware (1.3.3) "corrects some errors in the English and Russian" menus.

All this implies to me that a simple update of the firmware would solve your problems. That can be downloaded from Canon Europe or Canon Russia websites, I'm sure. It's worth a try!

http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_5d_mark_iii.a...

It's easy to update the firmware.... just follow the instructions on the website carefully!

It appears they may have Russian versions of all the documentation (instruction manuals and quick guides) and Canon softwares (EOS Utilities, DIgital Photo Pro, etc.) available, too.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

The firmware you download from US, Europe or Japan is the same firmware and the latest for 5DIII is 17 961 776 byte.

You can buy a 5DIII in Japan with international menu, but it will cost you more than the one with Japanese/English/Chinese.

Here at yodobashi you can check the camera. It is written that it has three languages:

日本語 Japanese

英語 English

簡体字中国語 Chinese

Nikon Coolpix S02 has Japanese/English. Sony Rx1 was only in Japanese when I last checked in the beginning of 2013. The international menu camera cost maybe 100$ more.

ENLiTe
Apprentice

The languages in menu is factory locked.

You can unlock all languages using Tornado EOS program

@ENLiTe wrote:

The languages in menu is factory locked.

You can unlock all languages using Tornado EOS program

My 5D3, purchased in the U.S. (B&H) in 2014 and now at firmware rev. level 1.3.5, has 25 language options. Russian is one of them.

Whether that matters to anybody or not, given how old this thread is, is an exercise left to the reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you! It works!

Announcements