cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M3 in the USA; just acquired my imported camera.

RexGig
Enthusiast
I tried to like the original EOS M, and very nearly bought one, in spite of it being just a bit too small. Rumors of a more-pro-oriented M, and very favorable reviews of the EF-M 11-22mm lens, kept my attention on the M situation, even as Canon USA discontinued the M system. Video and print reviews of the new M3 prompted me to look at various options for obtaining an imported M3, and then a quite good pre-owned sample became available on evil-bay, prompting me to buy.

My M3 arrived in truly like-new-in-box condition, packaged with the optional EVF. Though the user's manual is printed in Japanese, the previous owner had set the menu to English, and the menu and controls are sufficiently familar to my Canon DSLRs, so I am able to use it OK.

I had thought a large local camera store might have M accessories available, but they had neither the lens adapter nor 22mm lens, and I am not very interested in the EF-M 18-55mm, so I ordered the adapter. Thus far, I have only tried my EF 35mm f/1.4L with the adapter. I expected AF to be very slow, so was not disappointed when that was the result. AF is, however, quite accurate.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a two-axis artificial horizon! This will especially help attain proper composition with wide-angle lenses. A two-axis artificial horizon (virtual spirit level) is one of the truly valuable features on pro-level DSLRs, such as my 7D and 7D Mark II cameras, and here it is, on what I thought was a consumer-level product.
1 REPLY 1

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

You can download the English version of the manual from Canon Hong Kong.

Announcements