cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Histogram display EOS70D

Jane4
Contributor

How do I see the histogram on the diaplay before taking my shot.  I can only find it when reviewing my picture.

12 REPLIES 12

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you use LiveView you could see the histogram for the displayed image befoe you take the shot.

 

Page 218 of manual:

 

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for that.  Have tried keep on pressing the info button and yes the display changes but the histogram is not there.  Could this have been disabled in one of the main menus and if so which one?


@Jane4 wrote:

Thanks for that.  Have tried keep on pressing the info button and yes the display changes but the histogram is not there.  Could this have been disabled in one of the main menus and if so which one?



You have to consider how the mirror in an SLR camera works.  There is a mirror in front of the image sensor [or film] that reflects the light from lens up to the viewfinder.  The camera cannot display a histogram when the mirror is down because it blocks light to the image sensor when it is down.

 

When the camera is in Live View mode, the mirror swings up and out of the way, allowing light to pass through to the image sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."


@Waddizzle wrote:

@Jane4 wrote:

Thanks for that.  Have tried keep on pressing the info button and yes the display changes but the histogram is not there.  Could this have been disabled in one of the main menus and if so which one?



You have to consider how the mirror in an SLR camera works.  There is a mirror in front of the image sensor [or film] that reflects the light from lens up to the viewfinder.  The camera cannot display a histogram when the mirror is down because it blocks light to the image sensor when it is down.

 

When the camera is in Live View mode, the mirror swings up and out of the way, allowing light to pass through to the image sensor.


My reading of Jane's posts is that she's already in live view mode. Her question is whether, and if so how, the live view screen can be made to display the histogram before the picture is taken.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You are absolutely right Bob.  I am already in Live View and cannot see the histogram before taking the shot no matter how many times I press the Info button. 

 


@Jane4 wrote:

You are absolutely right Bob.  I am already in Live View and cannot see the histogram before taking the shot no matter how many times I press the Info button. 

 


I just tried to see if my 6D would display a histogram in Live View, and it did not.  I turned of the 3x3 Grid Display, and now I can see the histogram.  Your camera might have the same behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Did you look in the manual?

On page 219 in the blue box it says:

"The histogram can be played when [LiveView menu 1: Expo. Simulation: Enable (Page 230) is set."


@kvbarkley wrote:

Did you look in the manual?

On page 219 in the blue box it says:

"The histogram can be played when [LiveView menu 1: Expo. Simulation: Enable (Page 230) is set."


Hmm, ,I already had Exposure Simulation enabled, but it didn't appear until I disabled the 3x3 Grid Display.

 

[EDIT]  I just played around with it again.  kvbarkly is correct.  It's the Exposure Simulation that needs to be enabled.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the same issue. It was not appearing even though [LiveView menu 1: Expo. Simulation: Enable] was set.

Fix: press the [INFO] button to the left of the eye piece several times. The [INFO] button toggles through several different viewing options. The histogram should appear on the screen after several presses. 

Hope that helps! 

P.S. Thank you to everyone above who provided the other pieces to the puzzle! 

Avatar
click here to view the gallery
Announcements