cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Uploading images with Canon EOS 7D MKII to Imac with Catalina

Christhephotog
Enthusiast

All of a sudden I can no longer upload images from my Canon EOS 7D MKII to my I mac using the Catalina operating system. I get a USB Accesories Disabled Message. I've unplugged all of the USB cords and it still gives the same message. Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 4.11.49 PM.png

10 REPLIES 10

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Christhephotog. Are you plugging the camera into a hub or keyboard? If so, try plugging the camera directly into a USB port on the computer. If you are connecting directly to the computer, try using a different USB port on the computer. You can also use a card reader to import your files if you continue having an issue with the USB connection. Some computers come with card readers built in. If your computer does not have a card reader built in, you would need to purchase one. Memory card readers can be purchased at almost all photography and electronic stores and photo departments in your local department store. You would remove the card from the camera and put the memory card into the memory card reader to download your images.

I am uploading directly into the USB on the back of the computer. I have tried different ports and different cords with the same result. I tried a card reader as well all with the same result. This is driving me nuts as my old 7D has no problems up loading at all.

Well not the same msg. It shows that there are no images to download meaning it doesn't recognize them.Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 3.28.52 PM.png

Hi Christhephotog,

Looking at the errors in your screen shots one thing to double check is related to power. If your computer is a laptop sometimes they disable the USB ports when they are running on battery power. If your computer is a laptop try plugging the computer into a wall outlet, then connect the camera, and check to see if the same thing is happening. 

Beyond that we would recommend contacting Apple for further trouble shooting. I see you mentioned this same thing is happening with a card reader and with a different camera. That indicates there is an issue with the computer preventing it from communicating with USB devices. Typicaly if there's an issue with the camera itself the issue would only happen when that camera is connected. 

Lotus7
Rising Star

If it's happening using a card reader it sounds like it may be an  iMac issue.  A typical fast (150MB/s)  32GB SDHC card in a reader will use approximately 65 mA idling and up to 150-160 mA reading.  Your iMac USB port should not indicate a "too much power alert" unless the current exceeds 550 mA.  Have you tried switching the memory card from your new new MKII to your old 7D or to check if it's a issue related to the memory card?

Also, with an iMac it never hurts to try a full re-boot.  Shut the computer down using the power button, wait 20-30 seconds and then re-start.

Yes in moving the card to the old 7D I got the same msg.

Christhephotog
Enthusiast

I can also view the images on the 7DMii screen back but they are not viewable on the 7D.

Lotus7
Rising Star

What if you try an old SD card, one that works in the old 7D in the new 7D MkII?

"Yes in moving the card to the old 7D I got the same msg."  Which message do you get, the "too much power" or the "no images"?  If I'm understanding what you are saying, it sounds like the problem is correlated with the memory card you have for the new camera. 

Re: Images on the 7D MkII not viewable on the old 7D:  Are you saving the image in C-Raw format on the new camera?  The 7D probably can't "develop" those C-Raw into a viewable screen format.  If so, you might try switching the camera to JPEG only and seeing if those images can be displayed on the 7D.  That, however is a different issue from the USB "low power alert".

The "No images match the download conditions" message is also likely related to the use of C-RAW format usage.  IOS 10.5 (Catalina) is pre-C-RAW.  No version of Catalina supports C-RAW.  You need at least Mac OS  11 (Big Sur) to allow the computer to recognize the file format.

I believe there may be 3-rd party file format converters that will convert C-RAW into the older format, but have no experience using any.  An OS upgrade is probably your best solution or switching to JPEG storage.

Announcements