cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposure Lock

grrjr
Apprentice
Hello. I was just curious - is there a way to do an exposure lock for the T3i when working in manual mode? Or does it only work in shutter/aperture priority? Thank you in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Brian205
Contributor

I think there is no exposure lock on Manual Mode. 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Brian205
Contributor

I think there is no exposure lock on Manual Mode. 🙂

grrjr
Apprentice
Yeah, I did some further reading and figured it out. Thank you!

Is there really an exposure lock in Manual Mode ?

Nope. Meter for what you are wanting to expose properly then adjust your settings to get the exposure you want. There's no lock because you are adjusting the settings based on what you are metering. There's no lock for the same reason there isn't exposure compensation in manual mode.

@grrjr wrote:
Nope. Meter for what you are wanting to expose properly then adjust your settings to get the exposure you want. There's no lock because you are adjusting the settings based on what you are metering. There's no lock for the same reason there isn't exposure compensation in manual mode.

I wonder if that isn't a little too facile. There's no exposure lock because there's nothing to lock; you're already setting it manually. But you can't make the same argument about exposure compensation. If the camera's meter consistently misreads the brightness of the scene, it will tell you to use an erroneous setting. Exposure compensation would spare you from having to remember to make the adjustment each time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"There's no exposure lock because there's nothing to lock; ..."

Yes sir!  Smiley Happy

In a sense of the word, it is "locked".  It will not change unless you change it.  Right?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements