cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XT Resetting back to factory default settings

E7ternal_Jay
Apprentice

So I recently gotten a Rebel XT camera from my uncle. Really old camera as a researched it but, I want to factory reset it and the camera functions so I can take sharper and clear photos. I see I can change the dial on the aperture and exposure but, the light mark is on -2 and I’ve been trying to figure out how to put it into the middle. Can someone help me find settings or a mode that can help me with the mode I want with this camera. I understand it’s old but, I really want to use it and I have no clue on how to center this camera and get it ready for what I want to do. Please help. 

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can find the manual here:

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0900000278/01/EOSDRXT350DIM-EN.pdf

I don't think you can do a reset on that camera, you will need to set things yourself.

To reset compensation, press the Av button and turn the control dial on the top of the camera.

E7ternal_Jay
Apprentice

On manual it only changes the aperture when I want to change the exposure level indicator when it’s not moving no matter what direction I turn that dial I wanna balance that out first. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you are in manual mode, you use the dial to change the shutter, and then press the Av button and use the dial to change aperture. The indicator will change to indicate how close you are to what the camera thinks is the correct exposure.

This is all explained on page 86 of the manual i linked to. I suggest you read it. BTW, what lens do you have?

What kvbarkley said above. ^^^

If you're using the kit lens that was originally supplied with the camera you'll likely find it to be less than "tack sharp". The Rebel XT should still be able to take good photos if equipped with an upgraded lens. And you won't necessarily have to spend a bunch of money to see improved image quality.

I have an even slightly older Digital Rebel (non-XT) and with its 35mm-80mm kit lens it seemed to only produce mediocre, soft results at best. Replacing it with a later used Canon 18mm-55mm lens has made a world of difference and produces what I consider to be acceptable sharpness. It also doesn't hurt that the newer lens also has IS.

As noted, download the manual and give it a read. You don't have to do it all at once. Just do it a bite at a time and let it sink in.

Canon 18mm-55mm lensCRW_2006mod.JPG

Canon 85mm f1.8 lens

CRW_1960sm.JPG

No Digital Rebel was sold with an EF 35-80mm kit lens. All of the early Digital Rebel cameras sold with an EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 Micro Motor lens. The first Digital Rebel released the new EF-S Mount. All earlier crop sensor DSLRs such as the D30, D60 & 10D. Only will mount EF lenses. They don't support EF-S lenses because those cameras were released before that mount existed. In Asia and Japan they were sold with an EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 Micro Motor USM lens. Micro Motor USM lenses were more prevalent in Asia and Japan. Instead of Micro Motor lenses.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks. Wasn't aware of that. Bought my Digital Rebel used and it came with the 35-80 which sure performed like it might have been a low-end kit lens.

35-80 is a bit telephoto for a crop-sensor camera, the 18-55 is a better "walking around" fit.

The 35-80 definitely would make more sense on a full frame camera. But not this copy of the 35-80!

😝

The 35-80mm lens was a kit for 90s EOS film bodies. Such as the Film Rebel model cameras. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements