cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon m6 or Canon M6 MkII?

imsail
Apprentice

Im a amateur photographer and i been using a old point and shoot that doesn’t really have anything special but now im getting kinda into this and i was considering buying a canon m6 ii or m6 but i dont know if its worth it the mark ii or what to do I enjoy taking pictures of sports mostly but i do want and all rounder to shoot a little bit of everything! Thanks (Also a friend recommended me the lumix g7 idk about thay)

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite

I would avoid the M-series line as it would be a dead end.  Do check out Canon's R-series which is the future.  There is a wide range of price points from the EOS R100 all the way up to the EOS R3.   The EOS R100 being the smallest and least expensive (though also the least amout of bells and whistles).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

To offer you gear advice it would be helpful to know some details about your situation:
1. What is your budget - by which I mean a number value.  We need to make suggestions that you can afford.
2. What subjects do you want to take photos of?  That helps us decide what lenses you might want to use.
3. What do you want to produce?  i.e. social media, digital display, small-medium prints or very large, detailed ones.  That has a major impact on the investment you need to make.
4. What are you prepared to carry?  Do you need small and compact, or something larger?
5. Do you have any further constraints: e.g. eyesight, injuries, need to travel so want very small/light etc.

Based on what you have indicated so far, I would not recommend either the M6 versions you mention.  As Rick wisely said the M-series are living on borrowed time, but further to that, the M6 bodies do not have a built-in Electronic Viewfinder and although you can add an external one, at some expense, it is not an effective solution.  Why do you need an EVF?  It's about stability.

If you want to shoots sports, you need a long telephoto lens unless you can guarantee you are really close to the participants - such as table tennis.  When using a telephoto lens, how you hold the camera is critical and that become more so the longer the lens.  Holding it like a cellphone, which is how one normally would use the M6, is not a stable platform.  You need three points of contact to your body (like a tripod) to steady the camera, as per the enclosed images.  To make that possible you need to be able to bring the camera to your eye, and that demands a viewfinder.  The M6 was designed for social work, street etc., where one is likely to use wide-angle (short focal length ) lenses.   There are much, much better cameras out there for wildlife work.
00 Holding a Camera.jpg The correct techniquesThe correct techniques

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements