cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Remote with Android phone?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I recall many months ago where I found the steps to use my Samsung Android as a remote. The manual for my T7 only addresses the cable remote. I'm anticipating a situation where the remote would be necessary. Where could I find the instructions to download the info? Youtube? Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, although the video didn't go into it, you can see when they open the app that one of the selections is "Remote shooting". When in that mode, you can change camera settings (ISO, SS, aperture, etc.), focus by touch, and shoot from your phone. You can set it up so no files are transferred, so they stay on your camera for later download.

As for WiFi, you only need the phone and camera to talk to each other. It's basically a wireless tether, so no need for the phone to have any other connection.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

This is an old video, but I set up one of our cameras last night and the steps are the same. This is specifically for the T7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQykyoXEog

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Download from Google Play:

Canon Camera Connect - Apps on Google Play

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, is it necessary to have Wi-Fi available? I'll be in areas that cell phone service isn't available.

John

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Tintype_18,

Did you want to do wired shooting, or shoot wirelessly?

As Rick suggested, the Canon Camera Connect app will work using your Android phone and shooting remotely over wi-fi or bluetooth..

If you want to do wired shooting with, or download photos, to your Android phone or tablet, I found an app called Camera Connect and Control that works. You can try it free for 3 days, then it's $9.99 to purchase. You can find it in the Google Play Store.

You can shoot either still photos or videos either wired using a USB cable, or wirelessly. The app sits on your Google account, so you can use it with either your phone or a tablet, if you have one.  I use it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet all the time. It's like having a 10" LCD screen.

If you want a wired connection, you'll need an OTG (on the go) cable to connect your Android device to the USB cable, and an interface cable to connect the USB cable to the USB port on your camera. Your manual should tell you what interface cable to use.

The app description on the Google Play Store will tell you what cameras are compatible. While I don't know if the T7 is specifically mentioned, I have a Canon T8i and it works flawlessly.

I got the OTG cable off Amazon, and the IFC-600PCU cable from Canon.

Here's a shot I took recently with the camera mounted on a tripod out in the sun about a foot off the ground, while I stood in the shade about 20 feet away, and took the shot wirelessly.

chicken dinner(1).jpg

Steve Thomas

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Wireless remote. I have a cable remote and have used it for several photos of hummingbirds at our kitchen window. I can sit off to the side and snap the photo. Thanks. Will look at the links provided.

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

"I have a cable remote and have used it for several photos of hummingbirds at our kitchen window. I can sit off to the side and snap the photo."

My wife and I do that on occasion. We use the EOS Utility in remote shooting mode so we can see and focus on the birds. Set up is similar to Canon Camera Connect, but since you are dealing with a computer, there are some more steps. However, I found that WiFi is a little sluggish, especially on our Rebels, so I use a 10' USB cable which allows me to sit in my La-Z-Boy and watch the action. To focus from my laptop, I click on the bird with my mouse then tap the spacebar to take the shot. Almost all camera settings are available in the utility.

Newton

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Newton, I'm not wanting to transfer images. Did I miss something? I want to be able to set up the camera and shoot photos from a remote location. I saw a Live View button. Would that be it?

John

Yes, although the video didn't go into it, you can see when they open the app that one of the selections is "Remote shooting". When in that mode, you can change camera settings (ISO, SS, aperture, etc.), focus by touch, and shoot from your phone. You can set it up so no files are transferred, so they stay on your camera for later download.

As for WiFi, you only need the phone and camera to talk to each other. It's basically a wireless tether, so no need for the phone to have any other connection.

Newton

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have tried to set up the Canon Connect with the links given plus Canon Connect on my Samsung A13 but I get places/steps that don't exist on the screen on the phone or camera. Suggestions? Looking at B&H for wireless remotes and found four so far that are compatible with my T7 (1500D).

John
Announcements