cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 Battery Only Shows 50% Charge

ciderhouse_
Contributor

I got a camera three days ago. I charged the battery overnight and until about 3 pm the next day. I put the battery in the camera and turned it on and it shows two bars or 50%. I talked to somebody in canon and they told me that I should return the camera and have it exchanged. I said if I do that then I'm gonna get another camera and it will do the same thing. I have an older camera that does the same thing, with the battery at 2 bars. I went to clean the older camera and before the cleaning was done the battery was beeping and showed it was low. Somebody at canon told me that the batteries are on backorder for these cameras. The seller told me that canon ships the batteries at 50% and there was a charger for it. I would like to know what type of compatible batteries this would take because my boyfriend said to just keep it and get a battery from canon in a few months as they are on back order. At this point I'm unsure on what to do with it as it is my early Xmas present cause my other camera has no repair service if it needs to be fixed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To add to John's helpful post, don't be put off by the reverse of black and white in the image, it's just because it was printed in the manual.  I have taken a photo from one of my cameras of the display for a partially depleted battery

OTG50002 copy.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Cameras do ship with some battery charge, but it is (in my experience) not a full charge - that, in itself, does not mean that the battery is faulty.  One of the first things to do is to fully charge the battery, using an appropriate charger.

One of things that would help is to know the models of camera you are referring to please, and how old the old camera is.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I did that. It has been on charge since then and when I put it in the camera it shows 50%

Its a canon wow rebel t7. I also have the canon EOS t5 camera and it did the same thing with that. I had the EOS t5 camera since 2016 and did exactly the same thing as this one.

20220929_155225.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

A little more info would help ciderhouse_

1. Was it a new camera or a new to you used camera?

2. Did the charger indicate full charge? usually a green light. 

3. If it was indicating fully charged and a new battery it could be defective. If it was a used battery it could be reaching the end of life. If it isn’t a Canon branded battery it may not be fully compatible with the charger. 

Your camera manual will likely state that the camera (meaning new camera) will be shipped with less than full charge. It will also caution against fully charging the battery and then storing it. Batteries will also self discharge - even if the camera was shipped at 100% charge it probably wouldn’t reach you at 100%. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

1. Yes it was a new camera

2 yes the charger has a green light. I also bought a new battery and battery charger and still the same thing

3  yes it was a canon battary

what camera model?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Canon EOS rebel t 7. I also have the canon EOS rebel t 5. Did the same to both cameras. So Im not a happy camper. Can't clean the t5 camera as the battary gets to low for it to finish cleaning. So why should I pay for it to clean it if the battary doesn't stay charged for it to clean. So yes this new one does the same thing and only had it since Sept. 28th.

20220929_155225.jpg

From the image, that shows the battery IS fully charged.  The stripes are not, in themselves, an indication of charge.  Solid white along the bar indicates charge and solid black would indicate depleted battery.  The stripes are more an idea of 66% and 33% values - like marks on a ruler.   As the battery discharges, the solid white will progressively be replaced by solid black from the left.  The stripes are just markers.

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements