cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Overheating

donny1963
Apprentice

Ok so i just purchased the EOS R6, i use to use a Fuji X-T3 because i shoot 4k 60p
so hopefully i don't experience the overheating that most have, they said there was a firmware update to address this. But who knows most of the videos on youtube talking and testing this are shooting 4k 23 fps .
I'm wordering if any one out here shoots 4k 60p and how long of shooting do you get before you get the overheating warrning and shutdown?
I mostly am going to shoot using an external recorder (Ninja V) so i think this will buy me more time with out overheating shooting externally..
Any one know what the specs are shooting 4k 60p on the overheating issue?
What is your time?
Donny

12 REPLIES 12

Hello Donny, and welcome!

You may want to start a new thread since your post is a new subject.  [We created a new thread for it.] I know nothing about the video aspect of the R6. I'm sure you will get help.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@donny1963 wrote:

Ok so i just purchased the EOS R6, i use to use a Fuji X-T3 because i shoot 4k 60p
so hopefully i don't experience the overheating that most have, they said there was a firmware update to address this. But who knows most of the videos on youtube talking and testing this are shooting 4k 23 fps .
I'm wordering if any one out here shoots 4k 60p and how long of shooting do you get before you get the overheating warrning and shutdown?
I mostly am going to shoot using an external recorder (Ninja V) so i think this will buy me more time with out overheating shooting externally..
Any one know what the specs are shooting 4k 60p on the overheating issue?
What is your time?
Donny

Have you tried to use it and see what happens?  Your shooting conditions will be different from those experienced by others, namely ambient temperature and ventilation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Robin33
Apprentice

Hi,

This camera is exceptionally adaptable, steady and I have not encountered any issues quite significant. The overheating issue individuals grumble about hasn't been an issue for myself. Same as the R6 video I made the as it were "overheating" and I utilize that term freely is the point at which the shooting time diminishes much further past what the memory card would really show. I possibly get this while going for a truly significant stretch of time, particularly at high casing rates.

Most effective way to battle this issue is by:

- putting the camera down, switching it off in the event that you would be able and allowing it to in the middle between shots.

- change out the memory cards, particularly assuming they're getting hot- switch off the eyelet show i truly possibly get this issue while squeezing the gas on the camera and simply sending it to the moon for an extensive stretch of time. Overheating has not happened during any photography meetings to date. I genuinely love the capacity to shoot 8k Crude, and 4k 120. In spite of the fact that I have not utilized the 8k on most ventures, for me realizing I can utilize it and practically future evidence myself (a tad) is a tremendous reward for me. I basically only shoot in 4k 24FPS and 4K 120FPS and the recording is dazzling. The profundity, variety, convenience, etc is by a long shot the best I've utilized.

[Commercial link removed.]

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings donny1963,

Canon does not provide specifications for recording video that would prevent or cause the camera to overheat. The environmental operating temperature for the camera would be between 32 degrees Fahrenheit and 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Please note that the camera body may absorb more heat and have trouble dissipating heat if used in hot environments, like if the camera is used under direct sunlight or surrounded by other devices that produce heat. The EOS R6 does have internal sensors that will monitor its internal temperature and it will produce warnings when the it's internal temperature increases.

donny1963
Apprentice

Well so far i used it shooting 4k 60p, used it for about 3 hours, shooting off and on, probably 3 min at a time, each time i stopped recording i turned the camera off, the room temp was about 65 to 70 deg, then around the end of the day about 1 hour before i was finished, i set it on a tripod, shooting something for 58 minutes strait at 4k 30p
it never over headed or stated a warning that it is over heating, i brought a i picked up a  infrared temperaturemeter  duel laser, and just for curiosity, i pointed the meter at the back where the screen is moving the screen away of course to see what the temp was inside, and it read 103 F then removed the battery and lasered the inside of the battery compartment that was only 86F.
Now i'm not sure how long the camera back was at 103 F but i'm guessing probably after the first 40 min maybe..
how ever a youtuber has tested is R6 running it almost 2 hours strait with the exception of turning it back on after it reached it's video time limit, but he metered the back of the camera after a 2 hour run and it read at 105 F, and didn't turn off on it or state a warning of overheating either... He was shooting at 4k30p 
I think in one of the latest firmware updates they raised the temp where the camera would shut down it was probably at 95 F where it use to shut down and they raised it probably to 110 f before it shuts down.
I"m guessing Canon had it set lower to do research first before allowing it to run at 105 F, before they released a firmware update..
internal computer parts can run at higher temps then most people think, remember a Intel I9 Currently runs at average temp's of 85 to 95  celsius, , 95  celsius is 200 F. so i believe it it probably safe to say your canon camera could withstand 120 to 130 F pretty well, with out internal damage..

CanonR6UserBrad
Apprentice

I have had this cam for more than a year. I am a Real Estate Photographer and my shoots last 2 to 3 hours when images and video are included. My images are not HDR. I shoot a manual version with flash called "Flash/Ambient", No TTL, just simply bypassed multiple Flash images merged in photoshop. I may shoot an average of three hundred images per job. Part of my service is 4k video at 60fps. I am lucky to get 20 minutes of multiple short 30-second vids before it overheates. I have updated to the latest version of firmware as of November 2022. I feel robbed of approximately $8,000 because I chose to invest in this system which continues to fail me. If I am shooting a $1500 job and I have to ask my client to excuse myself because I must go to my car, turn the A/C on high and hold the R6 in front of a vent to cool it down so I may finish. Its freaking embarissing. Yah, I am a professional...I have the latest pro gear that I can't rely on. Do you think they will recomend my services to their busines partners??? I wouldn't. Time is money and this R6 is a terrible Camera. To make it worse I have to explain why my jobs get screwed up on a daily basis to my wife whom was reluctant to make the investment. I wish I had stayed with my old Nikon DLSR. At least it never let me down!!!

Have they fixed your issue yet??? I've been fighting with Canon for almost a year now! My R6 right out of the box is nonstop overheating anywhere between 10-20 minutes being ON and the most pics taken about a dozen... I haven't taken any videos with it. Only use Canon RF lens and no external accessories.  They have been refusing to either repair mine OR replace it with a brand new camera body. I've been told it is a KNOWN issue with the R6 that they had older bodies have the issue and STILL sent them out to be sold because "well maybe people wouldn't notice or theirs surprisingly worked" like really? Ugh. I'm giving them till Wednesday to provide me with a new camera body or to repair mine before I escalate further with a lawyer for a product that's a lemon they knowingly sold me. Yes, I've tried to send it in multiple times and they keep denying me even though they say initially they want it sent in. (Yes it's within the manufacturer warranty period and yes I purchased from a authorized dealer). I believe theynare tryingntonforce me outside the 1 year period so I'm on the hook for a 1700 repair that was originally quoted to me on the phone when they "couldn't verify my warranty info at that moment"... 

Our Factory Service Center performs repairs at Canon USA. Estimates aren't binding until we physically have your product. Once we have your product in hand and verify your proof of purchase to determine its warranty status, you will receive a revised quote. Once our team evaluates your product, they will perform tests to try to replicate the issue. They will also verify your product is working to factory specifications. If they can reproduce the problem, or if it's not working to specifications, they will perform any repairs as necessary. ONLY THE FACTORY SERVICE CENTER IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE REPAIRS AND DETERMINE YOUR WARRANTY STATUS.

Start your repair at canon.us/account

Het Reiner... Thanks for reading my post. I just posted it as a reply to my original post. I copied and pasted what I sent in their community follow-up questionnaire.... this is eating me up. Thousands of dollars in equipment and Canon does nothing.

Announcements