cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 Mark II Dust inside the sensor?

adcockac
Apprentice

I’m a newb. Had my camera less than a month and have literally taken 6 photos. Each one has a splotch. Took the camera apart and saw what appears to be dust on the sensor. Tried blowing it off and that didn’t work. Tried the cleaner/swab method and that didn’t work either. The debris seems like it’s inside the sensor instead of on the outside? Is that possible and how do I fix it? Is that a manufacturing issue? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The thing you're looking at isn't the sensor -- it's a block of filters in front of the sensor.  The sensor itself is behind them.

It's possible for dust to get inside this, although it's supposed to be a sealed unit.  But I just had this happen on another camera of mine.  I don't know any way to get it fixed except repair.  Canon's warranty repair has been fast and smooth for me so far -- I'll know the results when I get the camera back, hopefully in a day or two.

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The thing you're looking at isn't the sensor -- it's a block of filters in front of the sensor."

Simply a play on words. For practical reasons, it appears to new folks to be the sensor but the bottom line is you need to get professional cleaning done. Call Canon.  1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

"My Camera" is which model exactly?

Please provide us with images of the debris you see as well as sample images of the photos depicting the "dust" on the sensor, images, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

It’s the EOS M50 Mark II

Here’s a pic of the particle. Looks like you could blow it away but it’s under the surface. 😞

82786471-432D-4B54-B542-7DFC9C2B4B77.jpeg

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

The thing you're looking at isn't the sensor -- it's a block of filters in front of the sensor.  The sensor itself is behind them.

It's possible for dust to get inside this, although it's supposed to be a sealed unit.  But I just had this happen on another camera of mine.  I don't know any way to get it fixed except repair.  Canon's warranty repair has been fast and smooth for me so far -- I'll know the results when I get the camera back, hopefully in a day or two.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The thing you're looking at isn't the sensor -- it's a block of filters in front of the sensor."

Simply a play on words. For practical reasons, it appears to new folks to be the sensor but the bottom line is you need to get professional cleaning done. Call Canon.  1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the help, everyone! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements