cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Viewfinder went black

Ags13
Apprentice

I have a question. I just got the R6M2 not long ago. I started shooting with the camera and love every aspect of it. Yesterday when I went outside to photograph the sunset, camera would turn on but I did not see an image through the view finder. I pressed the shutter button (half wise and all the way through). It took an image but the image would not show on the screen either. I turned the camera on and off, took out the battery and the same issue continued. Even worse at some point the screen would go off too! Even way worse at some point I could no longer access the menu either. Nothing worked. 

That's when I shut off the camera and went home. When I turned the camera back on at home, the view finder and screen would work normal again. Menu was accessible as well. Please note that I have NOT changed any setting from my last shoot to yesterday's shoot. I was really surprised seeing the camera not working. 

Has this happen to any of you? Is that a thing with Canon (it's my first Canon camera). Another side note I am a super beginner, so most terms will probably be unfamiliar. If you have a suggestion, may I please ask you to write out the exact steps? Ground zero level 😉 

Thank you for all your help and time. 

Ag

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Contact Canon support at 1-800-OK-CANON. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

all of canon's mirrorless camera has a ambient light sensor just below the viewfinder.  If you put your eye firmly against the viewfinder, the back screen will turn off and the viewfinder will turn on.  if you wear sunglasses/glasses while using the camera, especially at sunset, light may still be hitting the ambient light sensor.  Most common problem is that some people do not place their eye flush against the viewfinder .

you can test this at home easily by placing your thumb on the sensor just below the viewfinder.

jaewoosong_2-1673435322757.png

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

almosech
Apprentice

Hello, I have a same problem. Do you have any solution with this issues? 

Same camera, latest firmware, 3 days old camera body, brand new

I sent my Canon R6M2 back as it is a brand new camera and I paid a lot of money for it. I returned this camera and got the R6 instead. 

@Ags13 wrote:

I sent my Canon R6M2 back as it is a brand new camera and I paid a lot of money for it. I returned this camera and got the R6 instead. 

Greetings,

Returned and exchanged for an R6 mkI.  The mkI is not a bad camera, but  I don't think returning would be my first move.  I feel the R62 is a superior camera for just a little more money.  You really get so much more from it bang for the buck wise. 

The first thing I would have done would be to perform a full reset of both the camera and its custom settings.  Then re-test.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to unintentionally change something that might cause unexpected behavior. 

Its possible you got a defective device too, but you may never know now.

@almosech,

I suggest the reset before throwing in the towel.  Prime Example here.

Canon : Product Manual : EOS R6 Mark II : Screen and Viewfinder Display (start.canon)

shadowsports_0-1678556399914.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

OUCH!!  I think you should have given yourself more time to learn the functions of the Mark2 before trading for an inferior camera.  There was probably nothing wrong with the camera, just maybe operator error or at least not familiar with the functions...  I am discovering more everyday about my mark 2 and i have it in my hands almost every day.

PhilEven
Apprentice

@Ags13 wrote:

I have a question. I just got the R6M2 not long ago. I started shooting with the camera and love every aspect of it. Yesterday when I went outside to photograph the sunset, camera would turn on but I did not see an image through the view finder. I pressed the shutter button (half wise and all the way through). It took an image but the image would not show on the screen either. I turned the camera on and off, took out the battery and the same issue continued. Even worse at some point the screen would go off too! Even way worse at some point I could no longer access the menu either. Nothing worked. 

That's when I shut off the camera and went home. When I turned the camera back on at home, the view finder and screen would work normal again. Menu was accessible as well. Please note that I have NOT changed any setting from my last shoot to yesterday's shoot. I was really surprised seeing the camera not working. 

Has this happen to any of you? Is that a thing with Canon (it's my first Canon camera). Another side note I am a super beginner, so most terms will probably be unfamiliar. If you have a suggestion, may I please ask you to write out the exact steps? Ground zero level 😉 

Ag

@Ags13 wrote:

I have the same problem.  It has happened now twice.  The first time was after i upgraded the firmware.  It functioned after a day.  I did not change any settings.  Today it is the second time it has happened.  Maybe i will do a reset.  but i will also call Canon Support tomorrow.  This is quite dissapointing.  I am going on a long trip starting Tuesday and probably won't take this camera.  At least my 90D is fine.

PhilEven
Apprentice

I figured this out...if you press the info button repeatedly it will get back to the proper view through the screen.  

PhilEven
Apprentice

Try pressing the info button repeatedly until tne screen works properly.

Announcements