cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload image to Canon EOS R7

Justagom
Apprentice

Hi all, newbie here.

I have recently retired my trusty old EOS 450D and now have nice shiny new EOS R7. Very happy.

Something I usually do with my cameras is to have an image on the card, locked, with my contact details on it. This can be helpful if the camera is lost or stolen. 

I have tried various ways to get the image onto my camera but so far no success. I have tried to simply copy across from my laptop when the camera is connected via USB, but the file just does not appear in file explorer. I then tried putting the SD card in my laptop and copying that way. Then I can see the file on the SD card on laptop, but when I put it back in the camera, nothing. I also tried the Canon phone connectivity app, but no luck there either.

Any ideas please?

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Chris,

How about writing your details on a piece of paper and then take a photo of that piece of paper and store in your camera as a regular picture? You could store it in its own folder.

My manual has a detailed explanation of how you go about creating folders and storing pictures in separate folders. The process is in the wrench-looking tab of the menu tabs. You can even create the folders on your computer if you don't want to create them on the camera.

Steve Thomas

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Chris,

How about writing your details on a piece of paper and then take a photo of that piece of paper and store in your camera as a regular picture? You could store it in its own folder.

My manual has a detailed explanation of how you go about creating folders and storing pictures in separate folders. The process is in the wrench-looking tab of the menu tabs. You can even create the folders on your computer if you don't want to create them on the camera.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve. In the meantime the same idea came into my head. Printed the message and took a picture of it. I suppose I was just overcomplicating things by trying to make it simple. 🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good morning,

Its been a while since I did this.

@SteveT1's suggestion would certainly work, and his instructions about creating folders also works.  Chances of getting a lost or stolen camera back is under 10% (sadly) ☹️   

When I travel, I keep a running archive of my images on the camera.  Each evening I also copy that days photos to a laptop.  I always have at least 2 copies of everything.  

I was testing some Canon Connect features on my last vacation.  After, I used a freshly formatted SD card and card reader.  I copied about 900 photos back to the SD card.  When I put it back in the camera, they were all there, and I continued taking images starting with 901. You have to use a card reader I believe as you cannot copy files to the camera directly if I recall.  Using a card reader works however.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick. I used Steve's solution. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Ummm...if the camera is lost or stolen, all the finder/thief has to do is replace the SD card. What good does that do you?

Another answer is to etch your info on the body somewhere. This will reduce its value to a thief. And an honest finder can contact you.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I bought a Canon G5 years ago that had a few nice customization features. It came with a few different images baked into the camera's memory that you could use for your start-up splash screen. You could also load up an image of your choice for the same purpose. I think you could have done this on several Canon models from years ago. I seem to recall using an image of Bettie Page to which I also added my name and contact info. It stayed in the camera even if there was no memory card installed.

This seemed like a feature that should have been included on any digital camera, at least if it cost more than a couple hundred dollars. Sadly, as I bought newer, more expensive, updated Canons this option didn't seem to carry over.

Though I'm sure the newer R series models, like the DSLRs, give you option to add your name to the EXIF data attached to the camera body. My 60D allows you to do this directly from one of the camera menus. Some models may require that you use Camera Connect or some other Canon software to enter this information. You might even be able to fudge things a bit and add an email address or phone number in the blank space for copyright info or such.

If someone found your camera they might not look there immediately for that information. But it would be a quick way to prove ownership if somebody else claimed that the camera was theirs.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I'd like to see fingerprint recognition put into the shutter button, or iris detection incorporated into eye detection in the viewfinder.  Both of these are pretty costly so I'd settle for an encrypted passphrase or MDM solution.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements