cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Camera GPS Location Off by Miles

WSC33
Contributor

I have an EOS R6 Mark 11 connected to my iPhone 13 for GPS.  The camera GPS is always off by several miles.  Obviously, my iPhone can locate me within a few feet.  Why the huge discrepancy?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just in case you are still out there...

Most GPS is formatted as either deg, min, sec.sec, or Deg.deg. That is with fractional degrees or fractional seconds.

Yours is formatted with fractional *minutes*, which is a bit odd.

With the help of my Prime, I figured out how to convert it.

So, somehow, AA°BB'22.1"N is equivalent to 0AA,BB.3670000N.

To convert it, take the fractional part of the minutes and multiply by 60 to turn it into seconds:

.367 * 60 = 22.02, which is pretty close to 22.1 seconds.

It also works for the other:

.7700999 * 60 = 46.206, again, pretty close to 46.1.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Suggest you check the Canon Connect App permissions and ensure Location is allowed.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WSC33
Contributor

I assume you mean “do I have location access,” and of course yes.  I would have no GPS if it weren’t. (The GPS indicator on the camera flashes if you forget to turn on the app, right?) It does disconnect if my camera times out which is annoying and the object of a later question, but yes, if I understand your question, I am accessing location from the app.  Is this what you meant?  

WSC33
Contributor

Hey Rick,

How do I do this?  What should I look for? The status says "Sending to camera", 'Smartphone,' 'Can be used.'  What are App permissions?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Android and iOS allow you approve or deny the permissions installed apps on your devices.  Android does it a little better than iOS.  

App permissions allow you to specify on a granular level if an app can (for example) access you microphone, your camera, your images, your location, etc. 

Have you reviewed your images.  Does GPS/Location information get included with your EXIF data.  Look in the image properties.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

WSC33
Contributor

Hey Shadow,

Yes, it's in the EXIF data.  Where else would I see the GPS data?  It only appears there, right?  I'm new to this, so I didn't know.  But yes, it's in the EXIF.

Thanks.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I've never used the GPS features in a camera or phone but I've used GPS for high precision surveying and mapping (ESRI Arc GIS and AutoCAD Land Desktop) quite a bit and the only time I've seen my coordinates off by miles is when I had the wrong format selected, like decimal degrees (DDs) instead of degrees-minutes-seconds (DMS) or vice versa. For example, my receiver was outputting DDs and I was trying to map in DMS.

You may want to research what format the camera uses and make sure the phone is using the same.

Just a thought 🤔

Newton

WSC33
Contributor

That's a good point.  Mine seem to be in DMS but the website i'm using (https://gps-coordinates.org/) is truncating my entires, so maybe those digits are being lost. Both lat and long are 7 digits long out of my camera.  The lat and longiture are truncated to at most 4 positions.  Do you have a suggestion for a site allowing more detail?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Just type them into google.

WSC33
Contributor

How do I structure it in the proper format for DMS? 

Announcements