cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Firmware update (1.7 and 1.8) not downloading

Mano-CD
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS R6. I have wanted to update my firmware and have been trying to download the Firmware update (update 1.8) for the last 2 days. It has not been possible.

The DMG file downloads onto my Mac, but when I double-click, the file does not open up. I am on Mac OS Ventura 13.1.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Open Finder preferences and ensure the Hard Disks box is checked.  The next time you click the file it will mount on your desktop.

shadowsports_5-1677986367545.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Open Finder preferences and ensure the Hard Disks box is checked.  The next time you click the file it will mount on your desktop.

shadowsports_5-1677986367545.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

All boxes checked. No luck. The dng file does not open. There appears to be something wrong with Canon software.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia

Just checking the boxes did not solve my issue. At the bottom of the FInder Settings, there is a drop-down menu titled: 'New Finder window show'. I needed to choose my main hard drive there. The file then shows up with the sub-folders under Locations. My problem is solved. Thank you for your assistance.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia

Greetings,

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad it worked for you.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Peter
Authority
Authority

Update firmware via your phone and Canon connect instead.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Mano-CD wrote:

I have a Canon EOS R6. I have wanted to update my firmware and have been trying to download the Firmware update (update 1.8) for the last 2 days. It has not been possible.

The DMG file downloads onto my Mac, but when I double-click, the file does not open up. I am on Mac OS Ventura 13.1.

I don't have an R6, but I did download the firmware update to test.

1. when you download the firmware update it goes into the Downloads folder (or whever you direct downloads.)

2. Double-click that software and an icon appears on the desktop that looks like a disk drive.

3. Double-click that icon and a window opens that shows the .fir file and a folder with instructions.

(MacBook Air M2 w/macOS 13)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi there! The icon does not appear on my desktop. That is why I think the file on Canon's USA website is faulty. BTW way it should be OK to straight away go to Version 1.8.0 skipping version 1.70., right? I do not need to go step by step.

Mano
Bogotá, Colombia

The test I reported on was downloaded from Canon USA support site for the R6. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I grabbed it from Canon Japan.  Seems to work fine.

EOS R6 Firmware Version 1.8.0|ASUS (canon.jp)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements