cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R50: Camera will not turn on, PLEASE HELP ME

kenziief
Apprentice

I have a canon r50, which I purchased on march 14th, I am always so careful with it cause it's my first camera and my pride and joy tbh, I took pictures today for a party, and half way through my camera shut off, I didn't bring a second battery but this was just for fun tbh as I am not a professional just starting. I though ok maybe I was not mindful and it was not fully charged when I got there, It's not a big deal right.... ok so i plug battery in pop it back in camera camera turns on two seconds then turns back off while still in on mode, i didn't know what to do, I came home put in a another battery that I know for a fact is fully charged and camera will not turn on AT ALL i am panicking please please somebody guide me here i live in the middle of nowhere i don't even know where i would find somebody who can help tbh. 

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I can understand it must be stressful. I will say that it is not a good idea to install or remove batteries while the camera is turned on. I would suggest the following:
Turn the camera off
Remove both the battery and the SD card and leave it for about half an hour
Reinstall both battery and card
Turn it back on.

A couple of points: 
Assumedly you got one battery with the camera, is the other battery a Canon brand unit too?
Is your SD card a full-size one?  You should use only Full Size SD cards with a camera, and they should be reputable brands: Sandisk, Lexar and Prograde are examples.  Get them from reputable stores and avoid cheap deals on the web - there are lots of counterfeits out there that can cause issues with your camera's operation.

If you are in the US and as you purchased the camera that recently, you should register your camera on the Canon website (see your documentation that came with the camera for details, and contact Canon support 1-800-OK-CANON.  

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Freebird
Apprentice

Hi 

I purchased the EOS R50, and two new Cannon batteries on 22-06-24

It comes in a kit with two lenses and plug in charger. I fully charged both batteries and showed my brother-in law who is a professional photographer. He uses Cannon so he gave me some tips. The next time I went to turn it on the unit does not turn on at all. Tried both fully charged batteries and it is dead. Like the other guy I live in a remote area so this a big inconvience to return it to the store of purchase. I will try your troubleshooting you suggested with the member and let you know how I go.

But this foray into using a Cannon makes me feel a bit anxious.

Hi! Wanted to update, this is EXACTLY what happened to me and they found zero cause whatsoever which makes me nervous. so I actually called canon and my camera was 9 days past the 6 month warranty to be able to purchase the carpak if yours is not I highly reccomend splurging on that tbh, sucks I couldn’t but still within the one year so he got me a label my camera went off to the canon factory and they fixed it and sent a complimentary brand new battery back with my camera,had my camera back in my hands within a week tbh that’s how fast they fixed it so now I have two canon official battery’s. they’re not sure why it happened and it said on the paper “camera is function correctly and no visible signs of damage or cause” but when I got it back works perfectly and zero issues, the guy I spoke with was a long term photographer himself and he said he doesn’t believe the off brand battery could’ve caused it but just to be sure I only use canon now, also he said it could’ve been firmware update related however it wouldn’t even plug into my laptop or turn that light on my phone nothing, every once in a while it’d give me the red light saying the battery was put in then immediately would go back off, also same as you two fully charged battery’s. And as for the first comment above maybe I worded it wrong but I NEVER leave my camera in the on position when changing out battery’s and even turn it off when I am switching lenses just to be safe, but you should call canon support, first go on site make sure you’re device is registered with them but free of charge they took it to canon factory cause this issue falls under that category of repair allowed within the year warranty. I really wish I had better explanation but not even canons camera repairers could find on, hoping it’s not common with the r50s though 

I am glad you managed to get this resolved and that Came through with not only a solution, but a free battery!

Modern cameras are extremely sophisticated devices, and are essentially mini computer systems as well.  As such, they can be spooked by variations in energy (such as your battery dying while in use), and that can cause a sort of software cascade effect.  I have seen it happen in other models and other brand - it can happen in laptops or computers that are mains powered by suffer a brown-out or complete loss of power while active.
Definitely, I would suggest keeping an eye on your battery indicator when in use.  I always have several batteries and charge the ones I use between sessions.  Try not to run down batteries - the modern ones will be fine to be recharged as required.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for your reply.

Can I ask what you mean by carpak?

Greetings ,

A Carepak is a service contract. It protects against accidental damage, drops, spills and unanticipated hardware failures.  

You can read more about them here.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/extended-warranties-plus

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Freebird
Apprentice

OK Just to clarify (humiliating though it is to admit) I was absolutely wrong in my assessment of my percieved 'problem' with my EOS R50.

I have in recent years only owned Panasonic Lumix cameras, point and shoot cameras. I am used to cameras that make noise, light green when you turn them on etc.

Turns out my camera was powered on. Just noiseless.

Unfortunately I made immediate assumptions based on that, and did not even check the view finder, assuming the worst.

Today phone my brother-in -law who is a professional photographer and he ran me through some troubleshooting steps before I discovered the 'obvious'...the camera was powered on all the time.

My camera view-finder was silently prompting me to do the basic set up, (while  was I meanwhile was in panic mode (sigh!) blind to that fact.

So please don't sell your shares in Cannon just yet . My apologies I made the wrong conclusions, and insinuated doubt on a exceptionally successful company and a solid product,unfortunately I have never been called bright, or particularly intelligent.

Anyway I will just shuffle out of here and go back to being 'invisible' 🤪 

My apologies.  I hope I did not exacerbate anyone's day 🤔

Bye !!!

Freebies,

No. Stick around. Share some photos. Ask questions. Offer advice to other users.

Share the highs and the lows.

It's all good.

Steve Thomas

Thank you 😉

Announcements