cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 & R6 Mark II Record options and formats locked using a EF Lens

suwar1
Apprentice

Hi I would like to know if there is any record formats that get locked using a ef lens on the cameras R5 and R6 II, i can't find answers when searching on google. I pretty much need at least 1080 60p to go forward with purchasing 1 or the other. Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

General answer

No, using an adapted EF lens does not "lock" or preclude you from using a specific camera setting or resolution. 

However, some lenses perform better than others for certain operations.  Typically video.  With 3rd party lenses, compatibility and performance is not guaranteed.  

The user guides for either camera will list any known compatibility issues.  In general, however, you should expect good performance if using Canon branded glass with a canon branded adapter.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... using a ef lens on the cameras R5 and R6 II,..."

If you are purchasing a new R series camera buy R series lenses. That only makes good sense.

It is the camera that sets the record settings not the lens. That's probably why your google search didn't return anything.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not sure if I fully understand the question.  My gut says that there should not any correlation between video recording formats and lenses.  

However, there are limitations between video recording features and modes with certain EF lenses.  Some EF lenses are not fully compatible.  There should be a listing of fully compatible lenses in your User Guide.  Stick to STM zoom lenses released after 2009. 

It is a safe bet that some third party lenses are not fully compatible with features like Movie Servo AF, too.  Canon does not keep track of which lenses work or don’t work.  I expect that most of them would not work, at least not very well.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

For the EOS R5, the answers are in the manual. If using an EF-S or RF-S lens, then some record formats will not be available. When using an EF lens with a Canon adapter, then all are available. Storage media speed may  make some of the highest data rate recording formats unavailable, so it may be necessary to purchase a faster memory card. The manual lists what video formats are supported for the various card speeds.

https://cam.start.canon/hy/C003/manual/html/UG-03_Shooting-2_0040.html

johnrmoyer_0-1697294179324.png

johnrmoyer_1-1697294252222.png

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements