cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5: Control of live screen and viewfinder

dmlarson
Contributor

I am trying to figure out how to keep the R5 from wasting battery power and showing live view on the screen when I don't want it to. What I do want is to have the screen off unless I push a button to turn it on (menu, Q, view, or info button). When I bring my eye up to the viewfinder, the screen shuts off, but comes right back on in live view when I take my eye away. This is amazingly annoying especially if I am trying to shoot in dark conditions. I have tried the various switches for the viewfinder and screen in the yellow #3 menu to no avail. Anyone have a fix for this unfortunate problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Interestingly, I just tried scrolling through the pushes on the INFO button and one of them blanks the screen and that setting sticks. I have tried the view and menu buttons and that gives me the screen back with the correct info. Hit those buttons again and the screen goes blank. Turned the camera off and on and the screen stays blank. I think you got me there. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

This probably isn't exactly what you want, but you can configure a button to toggle between the EVF and the LCD, or you can select the option beside it, which turns off the LCD. This is a one time thing though, meaning as soon as you take a shot or just look through the EVF, the rear LCD comes back on after you remove your eye from the EVF and you have to press whatever button you have configured to turn off the LCD. The options are way down the list, so you will have to schroll to near the bottom of the list of options.

My last camera was the 5D IV, and the R5 LCD being on all the time kind of bugged me also. I just set it to INFO and carried on. It just doesn't bother me any more. My wife actually likes that on the R6.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Interestingly, I just tried scrolling through the pushes on the INFO button and one of them blanks the screen and that setting sticks. I have tried the view and menu buttons and that gives me the screen back with the correct info. Hit those buttons again and the screen goes blank. Turned the camera off and on and the screen stays blank. I think you got me there. Thanks!

Announcements