cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2i screen protector - add an additional one or not?

oneshot
Apprentice

I just removed a broken aftermarket screen protector (GGS) from my daughter's T2i. Upon doing so I noticed that the camera already comes with a Canon screen protector. Should I install an aftermarket screen protector over the original Canon screen protector or not? If so, which is better from the two I have on hand: a glass GGS or a film Kenko. From my ill-informed standpoint, a second screen protector laid over the first seems redundant. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have never used a screen protector.  I always carry my camera in a camera bag, where it has its own padded slot to into and not bounce around.  Whether or not you need one is up to your own personal choice and use cases.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jaewoosong
Rising Star
Rising Star

I once scratched the back of my 5DmIII hanging from neck strap and scratched by the zippers on my jacket.  I've gotten glass screen protectors on all of my more recent cameras have touch screen and film will not behave the same.  I'm also the type of person to put screen protectors/cases on all my iphones as it's cheap insurance.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

On a T2i, I would not worry about a screen protector. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Don't know what is on your T2i, but Canon does not make screen protectors. These are aftermarket items.

In any case, you don't need two screen protectors. Someone must have put two on....why? If there's one on the camera you're all set.

oneshot
Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. What I gleam from the advice is that a screen protector isn't necessary but it isn't going to negatively affect the LCD screen function. It seems to boil down to what Waddizzle said, "Whether or not you need one is up to your own personal choice and use cases." My daughter is rough on equipment so I'll probably install the screen protector.

As for normadel's comment that Canon doesn't make a screen protector, what I meant by that in my original post is the Canon part shown at 9:17 in this YouTube video, referred to as the "LCD screen cover". On my daughter's camera the LCD screen cover is OK, and the aftermarket screen protector installed on top of it was broken (now removed). My original question was whether a screen protector over the LCD screen cover was redundant. I didn't plan to cover the LCD screen cover with two screen protectors. Sorry for the confusion.

A protector over the cover is not redundant.The cover is the surface of the LCD panel itself. An integral part of the camera, not easily removed and replaced.

Thus, the desire by many to protect it with a removable cover. Whether one will interfere with operation of a touch screen , I can't say because I don't have a camera with a touch screen.

Thanks for the reply. The T2i LCD is not touch sensitive. Just to be clear for anyone who reads this thread in the future, on the T2i (550D) the screen cover is separate from the LCD panel. The two parts are shown in the ifixit.com photo below: LCD is vertical, and broken screen cover is horizontal at the bottom of the photo.

ifixit.com.png

Perhaps that is why ebiggs1 said, "On a T2i, I would not worry about a screen protector."

Announcements