cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D combined with EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM - Is my kit enough?

BenRoc79
Apprentice

Hello All ,
I'm currently new to the DSLR world and have dived right in with the canon 90d kit which included a EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is Nano USM lens & then purchased a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is Nano II USM lens

The #1 reason I have entered this world is I have a daughter in traveling soccer (outdoor) & Futsal soccer (indoor)
The little bit of research I did about the 90d was it was a good all-around camera for wildlife & sideline shooting of sports which I'm very happy with the quality of the equipment & the layout of menu buttons and such is I can take very good focused still images not zoomed in but when it comes to action with zoom my focus goes south

my current camera setting so far with EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is Nano II USM lens

AV_ F/4_ISO auto _AWB_AI servo _DRIVE high burst_ shutter button meter only_ manual select zone AF

I have been watching a youtuber Michael The Maven which talks a lot about the 90d which has helped me tremendously with common setup but just seems I'm missing something in the setting or do I need to throw more $$ and get the EF 100-400 F/4.5-5.6 is ii USM

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

At this point get out there and take some pictures! That is the best way to identify what you need.

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I have those three lenses. The 2 you already have seem very good to me. I use the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM for wildlife and it is on my camera most of the time. The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is even better for wildlife than the EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM, but is heavier and more expensive.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I can only concur with my colleague KVBarkely - simply concentrating on the gear misses the point.  It's much more about the photographer once you have something reasonably adequate, which is where I think you are.
Things like holding the camera steady, getting used to the behaviour of the system, really (and I mean REALLY) knowing the controls of your camera such that you don't have to think about what button or dial to use will make you a much better photographer.   Technology is not, in itself, a replacement for technique.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

BenRoc79,

You wrote, "...when it comes to action with zoom my focus goes south." and "my current camera setting so far...AV_ F/4_...manual select zone AF"

Does this mean that you are shooting in Av or aperture priority mode?

If you are trying to shoot action shots that have have movement, I might suggest that you put your camera in Tv or shutter priority mode and pick a shutter speed around 1/400th or so. The camera will handle the aperture.

I might also suggest that you choose a single point focus instead of the frame focus. When you choose frame focusing, the camera will generally pick the object closest to you, or a spot that has the greatest contrast to focus on, and that might not be where you want to focus on at all.

Steve Thomas

click here to view the gallery
Announcements