cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D Mark II Can't Get AF Area Selection Lever to Work

4calaverigary
Apprentice

I've watched this entire video: Canon 7D Mark II Instructional Guide by QuickPro Camera Guides, and even though I got a lot of useful info, I couldn't make some of the functions work on my camera, such as the AF area selection lever. With the camera on, nothing happens when I try to activate the lever by pushing it to the right (down); i.e. no screen appears in the LCD monitor.  Am I in a wrong mode, or is this more likely a malfunction?

Thanks for any help.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you check the Custom Controls setup?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks.  However, you're dealing with an old guy who's not tech savvy.  Would you mind elaborating?  I did look around in Custom Controls, but I don't know what to change.  From a wildlife photography workshop I took a few years ago, I did set up a custom shooting mode, which I suspect is still set, but I don't know if or how that would affect any other controls.  Thanks again, in advance.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

If this camera is new to you. I would reset the camera back to factory default. Including the Custom Functions back to factory. If some else owned the camera they could've not assigned a function to this.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks for your reply.  I bought this camera new 4-5 years ago, so any changes were made by me.  However, you're dealing with an old guy who's not tech savvy.  From a wildlife photography workshop I took a few years ago, I did set up a custom shooting mode, which I suspect is still set, but I don't know if or how that would affect any other controls.  Any other advice will be appreciated.  Thanks again, in advance.

Custom Shooting modes are C1, C2 and C3. What mode are you shooting. Look at page 445 in the camera manual. The manual is Provided Here at no cost from Canon in an electronic form.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D & Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I previously set up C1, but I'm not trying to shoot in it, i.e., I don't have it selected.  Thanks for the link to the electronic manual.  I had previously downloaded it.  Even so, when I try to trouble shoot my problem I can't find a solution that works for me.  Thanks again.

@4calaverigary wrote:

I previously set up C1, but I'm not trying to shoot in it, i.e., I don't have it selected.  Thanks for the link to the electronic manual.  I had previously downloaded it.  Even so, when I try to trouble shoot my problem I can't find a solution that works for me.  Thanks again.

You need to look at the "custom buttons and dials", particularly the "Multi-controller", which is what is going to allow you to select focus points. See attached screen shot of the users manual below. IIRC, it is off by default, so once you scroll to it, press "Set", then enable it.

Multi-controller Function.Multi-controller Function.

It's been a while since I've used the 7D mark II. I just pulled it out to make sure of this and had forgotten how big it is, LOL! I've been shooting with the R5 and R6 for a couple of years now.

I hope this helps 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@4calaverigary wrote:

Multi-controller Function.Multi-controller Function.

It's been a while since I've used the 7D mark II. I just pulled it out to make sure of this and had forgotten how big it is, LOL! I've been shooting with the R5 and R6 for a couple of years now.

I hope this helps 🙂

Newton

Check the setting for the control just below Newton’s Red Arrow, the one all the way at the bottom of the right column.

When you enter this menu screen the camera display on the left side will change to highlight the different buttons and controls that each selection on the right side is associated with.

I believe the default setting for this control is DISABLED.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements