cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250D EF Lens Compatibility

JMcCann
Contributor

I am a complete novice...I just started photography two weeks ago.

I bought a Canon EOS 250D (made in the UK)...I am looking at buying a zoom lens--the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.

Is this lens compatible with my camera body that was manufactured in the UK? If not, will I need an adapter? And, if I need an adapter, what adapter is best/do you recommend?

Thank you for your patience and help of this eager, yet very green photographer!

Jamie 

<Personal information removed per forum guidelines>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

Yes the EF 75-300mm III lens will fit and work on a 250D (called SL3 in N. America).

However, it's Canon's cheapest telephoto zoom and the reasons will probably become apparent once you start using it. It's lightly built, doesn't have particularly smooth focus/zoom rings, uses slower & noisier "micro motor" focus drive, doesn't have image stabilization and has pretty soft image quality at the longer focal lengths..

The EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens is a better lens in almost every way. The main things are that it has faster, quieter autofocus STM (stepper motor) focus drive and IS (Image Stabilization) which is particularly helpful with telephoto lenses such as this. It uses Canon ET-63 matched lens hood, which is sold separately but recommended to protect the lens and improve images. It and the EF 75-300mm have pretty similar image quality between 70 and 100mm... but from 135mm and longer the EF-S 55-250mm is much sharper. It also is closer focusing, able to render higher magnification, slightly smaller and a little lighter in weight. One minor negative is that the 55-250mm uses a polycarbonate bayonet mount. I wish it were metal! (Note: There also is are versions of this lens without STM. They're older and the STM version seems to have the best image quality of the bunch.)

Compare image quality tests yourself at The-Digital-Picture website.

The primary "advantages" of the EF 75-300mm are it's 50mm additional focal length and low cost.

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.... $199 new,  (ET-60 lens hood, $29.95), widely avail. used, MPB.com has more copies of this lens than any other lens in their inventory: 154 to choose among, many under $100! (Note: There have been other versions of this lens with IS and faster USM focus drive. AFAIK, there's no difference optically and these were discontinued some time ago. They can be found used for under $200.)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM... $299 new. (ET-63 lens hood, $24.95), avail. used for $150-$180 (MPB.com).

There also are...

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM II... $599. (ET-74B lens hood: $44.95) $359-$409 used at MPB.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM... discontinued first version. $174-$199 used at MPD.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM "L"... discontinued premium version, best image quality. Lens hood included, can optionally be fitted with Tripod Mounting Ring C ($180) . Lens is selling for $459-$754 used at MPB.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM "DO"... discontinued premium version using Diffractive Optics (DO) to allow for more compact size, but it is about the same weight as other lenses. Image quality is quite good. This was the most expensive 70-300mm when it was selling new: $1400. It is now selling for $224-$314 used at MPB.com.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

That lens will fit your camera just fine. In fact, any EF or EF-S lens will fit just fine.

Note that while the 75 - 300 has an attractive price, it definitely performs as a budget lens.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@JMcCann wrote:

I am a complete novice...I just started photography two weeks ago.

I bought a Canon EOS 250D (made in the UK)...I am looking at buying a zoom lens--the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.

Is this lens compatible with my camera body that was manufactured in the UK? If not, will I need an adapter? And, if I need an adapter, what adapter is best/do you recommend?

Thank you for your patience and help of this eager, yet very green photographer!

Jamie 

(949) 292-8166

Jamie@3AMmarketingservices.com

The lens you mentioned is compatible (any EF lens will fit your camera, as well as any EF-S lens).

The Canon series of 75-300 lens aren't the best quality. I suggest you consider either the EF-S 55-250 STM lens or the EF 70-300 USM V2 lens.

Welcome to the group.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My local Canon retailer is offering me the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III for $150 with a full warranty because it's an open box item. Is that a reasonable price?

I see the EF-S 55-250 STM is almost $600...since I'm just starting out, I don't think I can afford that much. 

@JMcCann wrote:

My local Canon retailer is offering me the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III for $150 with a full warranty because it's an open box item. Is that a reasonable price?

I see the EF-S 55-250 STM is almost $600...since I'm just starting out, I don't think I can afford that much. 

I am beginning to not like your dealer/retailer.  Are you located in the US?  If you are in the US, then here is a list of “Factory Authorized Canon Retailers” in the US.

https://www.usa.canon.com/contact-us/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers 

I do not expect your “Canon Retailer” to be listed.  It is beginning to sound like you have been sold a grey market camera body by an unauthorized dealer.

Those lens prices are way too high, especially the EF-S 55-250mm STM.  The EF 75-300mm is worth $99, at best, which is still too high for an “open box” item, IMHO.

Check out the prices for those lens models being offered by Canon USA in the online Refurbished Store.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/lenses/refurbished-lenses?p=2 

Look for the items tagged as “refurbished”.  The EF-S 55-250mm has an official list price of $299 USD.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Amazon has the 75-300 for $199, so $150 isn't a bad price.

Amazon has the 55-250 for $299. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have an EF 75-300mm that I got refurbished from Canon for about the same price your dealer is offering it for. It has some chromatic aberration issues and isn't terribly sharp, but the extra reach definitely lets it capture more detail than my EF-M 55-200mm, which I consider a pretty good lens with average sharpness. And it takes great moon shots.IMG_3149_crop2.JPG

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

amfoto1
Authority

Yes the EF 75-300mm III lens will fit and work on a 250D (called SL3 in N. America).

However, it's Canon's cheapest telephoto zoom and the reasons will probably become apparent once you start using it. It's lightly built, doesn't have particularly smooth focus/zoom rings, uses slower & noisier "micro motor" focus drive, doesn't have image stabilization and has pretty soft image quality at the longer focal lengths..

The EF-S 55-250mm IS STM lens is a better lens in almost every way. The main things are that it has faster, quieter autofocus STM (stepper motor) focus drive and IS (Image Stabilization) which is particularly helpful with telephoto lenses such as this. It uses Canon ET-63 matched lens hood, which is sold separately but recommended to protect the lens and improve images. It and the EF 75-300mm have pretty similar image quality between 70 and 100mm... but from 135mm and longer the EF-S 55-250mm is much sharper. It also is closer focusing, able to render higher magnification, slightly smaller and a little lighter in weight. One minor negative is that the 55-250mm uses a polycarbonate bayonet mount. I wish it were metal! (Note: There also is are versions of this lens without STM. They're older and the STM version seems to have the best image quality of the bunch.)

Compare image quality tests yourself at The-Digital-Picture website.

The primary "advantages" of the EF 75-300mm are it's 50mm additional focal length and low cost.

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III.... $199 new,  (ET-60 lens hood, $29.95), widely avail. used, MPB.com has more copies of this lens than any other lens in their inventory: 154 to choose among, many under $100! (Note: There have been other versions of this lens with IS and faster USM focus drive. AFAIK, there's no difference optically and these were discontinued some time ago. They can be found used for under $200.)

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM... $299 new. (ET-63 lens hood, $24.95), avail. used for $150-$180 (MPB.com).

There also are...

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM II... $599. (ET-74B lens hood: $44.95) $359-$409 used at MPB.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM... discontinued first version. $174-$199 used at MPD.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM "L"... discontinued premium version, best image quality. Lens hood included, can optionally be fitted with Tripod Mounting Ring C ($180) . Lens is selling for $459-$754 used at MPB.com.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM "DO"... discontinued premium version using Diffractive Optics (DO) to allow for more compact size, but it is about the same weight as other lenses. Image quality is quite good. This was the most expensive 70-300mm when it was selling new: $1400. It is now selling for $224-$314 used at MPB.com.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Thank you all for your timely and elementary explanation as to the pro's and con's of the EF 75-300 lens. I have a lot to think about, no doubt. You all make it quite clear that it is a sub-standard, yet doable lens...especially for novice/amateur/beginner like myself. 

I'm not sure if I can ever re-pay any of you in any way...but, I certainly would be open to doing so.

Announcements