cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 250 not focusing and wont take pictures

dpvicedo
Apprentice

HELP! I just purchased EOS 250D/SL3 and i dont know if my problems are factory defects or maybe i mistakenly made unecessary adjustments on the camera settings. I have a zero to minimal knowledge with cameras so please tell me if im asking nonsense questions here 🙂

My problems are: 

1. lens wont autofocus and wont take pictures after several tries / or will take forever to take pictures

2. flash keeps on flickering when trying to take a picture/focus and it is showing BUSY

3. lens are making a noise when autofocusing, but the lens are not focusing/moving anyway

Thank you in advance! 

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have not yet downloaded a copy of the full Instruction Manual from Canon Support, I encourage you to do so.  Make it your newest, best friend.  Also, you may want to learn more about general photography.  A cell phone captures snapshots.  A DSLR captures photographs.  

As for your questions and issues:

1.  The camera may not autofocus for any one of a half dozen reasons.  Are you using the lens that came with the camera?  Try going into the menu system, and find the option to "Reset Camera Back to Factory Defaults".  This will put the camera back into a known state.

2.  The flash flickering is probably the AF Assist Beam, which is described in the manual.  It may fire when you are trying to take photographs when the shooting conditions are low light.  The "BUSY" message probably means the onboard strobe is recharging.  In addition to seeing "BUSY" in the viewfinder, on some cameras you may see an icon appear suggesting what the camera is trying to do.

3.  Again, what lens are you using?  Lenses are not silent when they focus.  If the lens has IS, Image Stabilization, then you may be hearing the IS motors.  Some lenses do not twist or change length as the lens focuses.  This last is a good thing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Totally agree with the comments about reading the manual.   If you are new to dedicated cameras, then start from the first page.

The behaviour of your camera sounds like it is trying to gain focus but cannot do that.  It COULD be because what you are trying to take a photo of is too close, or has no distince contrast (i.e. no lines between dark and bright areas).

From what you say it suggests you have made adjustments to the camera settings, definitely follow the advice given and locate the reset to factory defaults - again it's in your manual.

It would also help to let us know:

a) what you are trying to photograph and how far away it is.

b) what Mode you are using e.g P, Av, Tv, M etc.

c) what lens you are using

d) is the autofocus switch on the lens turned ON?

Apart from reading the manual the best thing  you can do is watch watch some videos on basic photography. 

Canon has a series of basic tutorials HERE 

Also, through your library you may have free access to a tutorial site www.lynda.com.  If your library has that resource, log onto your library's website, look in the catalogue for lynda.com and click on the link.   You will use your library site and credentials to have free access.

OR log onto lynda.com and get 30 days' free access.

Once on the site, search for Photo Foundations - condudted by Ben Long.  They are very professionally presented informative tutorials on how to use any camera.

As has already  been mentioned a DSLR requires more knowledge than, say, a cell phone but cameras give you much more control and creative opportunities, you just have to take the time to learn.

Good luck

@dpvicedo wrote:

HELP! I just purchased EOS 250D/SL3 and i dont know if my problems are factory defects or maybe i mistakenly made unecessary adjustments on the camera settings. I have a zero to minimal knowledge with cameras so please tell me if im asking nonsense questions here 🙂

My problems are: 

1. lens wont autofocus and wont take pictures after several tries / or will take forever to take pictures

2. flash keeps on flickering when trying to take a picture/focus and it is showing BUSY

3. lens are making a noise when autofocusing, but the lens are not focusing/moving anyway

Thank you in advance! 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your replies.. I now started to read and watch user guides. I am now getting a better understanding on the camera.

I am using the lens that came with with the camera, EFS 28-55mm. I have reset everything back to the original factory settings. Lens is on AF mode. But still the same problems. I have tried shooting in different camera modes, but still same thing is happening. i noticed that the camera is having a hard time to autofocus when my subject is closer to the camera.Could there be a problem with the lens? Maybe it's broken. When i first started to use camera, I see that the lens is moving when autofocusing. Now, it's just the noise.

I am assuming you meant 18-55 lens? Closest focusing distance is 0.25m.

Set camera to Green Square A+ mode on the dial. Set the lens to AF. Go outside on a sunny day and focus on something about 5 or more meters away.

If camera doesn't take a photo under those conditions;

Try this:

1. Take the lens off of your camera.
  2. Put the lens in MF mode.
  3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  5. Put the lens back on the camera.
  6. Put the lens in AF mode.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  8. Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
  9. Take a test photo.

If it doesn't work then head to a camera shop.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/td-p/138114

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

A word of caution - if the OP manipulates the lens and damages it, they will void their warranty - where I am this happened recently to someone in a similar situation. 

I think it would be best to take it to the vendor, or their local camra store and let THEM manipulate the lens - even contact their local camera club to get some advice before doing anything to the lens.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Set camera to Green Square A+ mode on the dial. Set the lens to AF. Go outside on a sunny day and focus on something about 5 or more meters away.

Try this:

3. Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
  4. Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
  7. Turn the camera on.
  9. Take a test photo.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Lenses/Autofocus-not-working-18-55mm-lens/td-p/138114

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

A word of caution - if the OP manipulates the lens and damages it, they will void their warranty - where I am this happened recently to someone in a similar situation. 

I think it would be best to take it to the vendor, or their local camra store and let THEM manipulate the lens - even contact their local camera club to get some advice before doing anything to the lens.

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Try this:

7. Turn the camera on.
  9. Take a test photo.

I would think that the person whose warranty was voided would have a legitimate gripe against Canon. The "manipulation" that John recommended should be perfectly harmless unless the autofocus motor was jammed. And if it was jammed, I suppose Canon could claim that the user caused the problem by trying to manually focus while the lens was in autofocus mode. But they would (I think) have a difficult time proving it.

Which brings up the obvious question: Is Canon still making lenses that can be damaged that way? I would have thought that they had put that problem behind them by now.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@dpvicedo wrote:

Thank you for your replies.. I now started to read and watch user guides. I am now getting a better understanding on the camera.

I am using the lens that came with with the camera, EFS 28-55mm. I have reset everything back to the original factory settings. Lens is on AF mode. But still the same problems. I have tried shooting in different camera modes, but still same thing is happening. i noticed that the camera is having a hard time to autofocus when my subject is closer to the camera.Could there be a problem with the lens? Maybe it's broken. When i first started to use camera, I see that the lens is moving when autofocusing. Now, it's just the noise.

Every lens has a Minimum Focusing Distance, MFD.  This distance is usually printed on the lens as a "MACRO" distance.  Your lens came with an instruction manual, which describes how the lens works.

Every camera needs a minimum amount of light to see how to focus.  Your eyes are FAR more sensitive to light than the camera is.  Test your cameras outside when the sun is out, bright and sunny.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

amfoto1
Authority

@dpvicedo wrote:

My problems are: 

Thank you in advance! 

I agree with other responses....

The "flash flickering" could be "Focus Assist" trying to help, which suggests to me that the camera and lens are unable to achieve focus, which in turn is preventing the camera from taking out-of-focus shots.

If light conditions are insufficient.... or if subject is too close... or if subject is low contrast or lacks details for the focus system to lock upon... or for various other reasons auto focus can struggle and fail.

"Lens noises" also suggest focus is trying (however, "image stabilization" also makes a little noises).

Try using the camera outdoors in good daylight and see if it's able to focus and take shots. If so, some of the above are likely the problem. If it still cannot take shots, it may be something you've set incorrectly or even a fault with the camera or lens.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is very bad advise and I hope you did not try it.

Try this:

7. Turn the camera on.
  9. Take a test photo.

This procedure is for a jammed lens not a camera/lens combo that isn't taking pictures or working correctly. The lens this does work on is fragile and can be damaged easily.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements