cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D X Mark II Soft Images

guybarron
Contributor

Hi there . I purchased a 2nd hand 1 dx 11 19000 shutters looks great condition …for holidays in Costa Rica …however not really happy with quality of shots …took 8000 photos in all sorts of conditions … but so many shots look so soft at jpeg large and raw … shot mainly on 100-400 mk 11 with 1.4.  But some on 70-200 2.8 and 100 2.8 macro.…shot on every program tv av p manual with auto iso but images were so inconsistent … mainly wildlife  …in fact my 20 year old 1ds shots 11mp look far sharper apart from a few… if someone could help please 🙏 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Guy 90% of the time unsharp images are one of two or both issues. The lens or the photographer. It is almost never the camera. Remember the camera is mainly just a storage device that records what the lens saw and what the photographer told it to do.

"Picture 2 looks like its front focused." Once again front or back focusing does not make the image less sharp per say. In either case something in the photo will be in optimum focus and as sharp as the lens can offer. You merely move the critical focus point forward or backward.

If you still think you have a camera issue I would contact Canon and have a C&C done on it. You can do a simple test of your lenses all by yourself but under controlled conditions. Shooting out in the wild tells you nothing. Use a good sturdy tripod and set up a test subject. Do so at several distances. Different ISO settings different SS different apertures, the whole nine yards so to speak. Then you will learn and know something about your gear.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... if at all possible, please remove the 1.4X extender for testing and any filters, including protectors."

I disagree with that advice to a degree. Testing should be done in the manner of how you use the gear. If you are testing for actual lens IQ then, yes, remove all add-ons. Further there isn't any issues or problems using the first version of the 70-200mm on a 1DX Mk II. The ef 100-400mm Mk II isn't the sharpest lens made but it is pretty darn good. You see you are in the world of "good enough".  What is good enough? Well that depends on how you intend to use the photos. In other words a photo destined to go to FB isn't the same as something NatGeo would want. If you are a pixel peeper than the ef 100-400mm is not a good choice but for general real life use it is a fantastic lens.

So, always keep in mind the final product, how am I using my photos. Last word here ditch the tel-con, especially on the 100-400mm (if you are after the best IQ).

EB

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Can you please post the full name of the lenses you're using and some pictures in the forum.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

AC8I2593.JPGAC8I1961.JPGAC8I2244.JPGAC8I2416.JPGAC8I2257.JPG

Have you tried testing the lenses in live view. Picture 2 looks like its front focused. When testing live view make sure quick AF is OFF. Quick AF drops the mirror and uses the dedicated viewfinder AF system to find focus. Instead of the image sensor finding focus.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

guybarron
Contributor

100-400 mk11 on all these apart from frog …100 2.8  macro 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you post the RAW files of the images you posted to Dropbox or One Drive?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I don’t know ??

Do you mean you don't have an account with Dropbox or One Drive? Do you have access to any other file posting service, like Google Drive or iCloud?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Got Dropbox now thx…. Bit novice after 20 years off

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Guy 90% of the time unsharp images are one of two or both issues. The lens or the photographer. It is almost never the camera. Remember the camera is mainly just a storage device that records what the lens saw and what the photographer told it to do.

"Picture 2 looks like its front focused." Once again front or back focusing does not make the image less sharp per say. In either case something in the photo will be in optimum focus and as sharp as the lens can offer. You merely move the critical focus point forward or backward.

If you still think you have a camera issue I would contact Canon and have a C&C done on it. You can do a simple test of your lenses all by yourself but under controlled conditions. Shooting out in the wild tells you nothing. Use a good sturdy tripod and set up a test subject. Do so at several distances. Different ISO settings different SS different apertures, the whole nine yards so to speak. Then you will learn and know something about your gear.

EB
Announcements