cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO I need a new PCB?

MikeE
Apprentice

My canon 5d Mark iii cannot be recognized by my computer (windows 10).  I have the right software, I have a new 200U cable that I bought on Amazon. My camera doesn't have wifi settings to turn off.  I have tried everything I can think of to test the usb port.  I keep wondering if there is some obscure setting or mode that I have to turn on while I'm trying to use the usb port or maybe do I have to have it plugged into power instead of using a (fully charged) battery?

The camera is in great condition other than this and I'm wondering if there is any other advice anyone has on this issue before I give up... 

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Would a card reader work?

Thanks for the response.

I want to use it for video conferencing.

I also want to be able to sell it when I decide to upgrade to a newer model.  If I'm not mistaken, you need to be able to access the 5DM3 via usb to change the owner name which is applied to every photo's metadata.

@MikeE wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I want to use it for video conferencing.

I also want to be able to sell it when I decide to upgrade to a newer model.  If I'm not mistaken, you need to be able to access the 5DM3 via usb to change the owner name which is applied to every photo's metadata.

Understood.

The copyright info can be changed via the menu system, but everything else would require repair. eBay frequently has parts like that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If you haven't already, definitely try a different computer and a different USB cable before digging into the camera.

I have experienced more than one USB cord that was defective from delivery and Amazon is definitely not what I would call a reliable source with lots of products that are counterfeit and in other cases repackaged returns that were defective the first time they were sold and still defective.  Amazon is a blend of Amazon corporate and independent sellers and it is even more of a "wild west" than ebay which has a much better feedback system that properly matches feedback with seller instead of the Amazon system which often blends feedback/reviews for multiple different products together.

I have run into communications issues with different Windows 10 computers, often related to either security software or some other program running on that system, so also try it on a different computer.

USB ports can be damaged or go bad but I would put the probability of that at lower than that of a defective cable or another of the many issues that follows Win 10 like sharks to fresh blood.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If everything else seems to work properly it could be the USB port.

As kvbarkley says maybe you can just not connect the camera to the computer.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm an IT guy that has done many computer builds and repairs.

If the USB port is dead, can I replace the PCB myself? 

If I can't replace the PCB myself, how much does this kind of repair run (ballpark)?

If I can replace the PCB myself, where is the right place to buy it from?

Thanks All

It could also be that the USB port has been pulled from the PCB. You might be able to repair it.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although the PCB can be swapped out, not by me, but a relatively adapt electronics person, you would still not have the equipment to adjust settings and tolerances.

I am another don't buy from Amazon.  Go to a known good retailer. Not a flee marketplace like Amazon. Not eBay either!  Before you do a drastic repair on a fairly expensive camera, do check out a different computer and USB cable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ray-uk
Whiz

Although you may be able to buy a new main PCB it would need Canon's service software to set it up, if you buy a used PCB then it would have the set up information on board but it wouldn't necessarily match the adjustments required for your camera body.

Announcements