cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new folder for focus bracketing for EOS R5

JimFeet
Contributor

This question was first posted back in 2020 but the questioner ended up figuring it out himself but never explained his solution so I'm re-posting here because I have the same question:

On page 242 of the R5 manual, at the end of the section on focus bracketing, the manual says that the user can create a new folder by pressing an icon that looks like a folder with a + sign. Where is that icon? I have searched the manual and the screens displayed on the camera and I cannot find that icon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I've attached a screen grab of page 755 of the R5's Advanced User Guide. You just need to scroll over to Wrench 1 and create a new folder and set it to current. It just takes a few seconds. Once you select "Folder" at the bottom of step 2, you will get more options. I have folders already made so I just select an empty folder and shoot my stack. Just don't forget to go back and change to your main folder when done, LOL!

R5 Folders.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like folder+ function (Create Folder) can be assigned to a button. See pages 841-843 in the manual. I don't have that camera, so I can't check it out myself.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 200807.jpg

JimFeet
Contributor

Looks like a possible solution but it requires one to give up an existing button function for something that might not be used very much. Focus bracketing is useful only for static objects. I use it for macro work, especially insects some of which occasionally remain stationary long enough to be applicable.

Seems odd that a feature recommended in the interface isn't found in the interface.

But that's a nice catch! Thanks for the idea, I'll certainly keep it in mind.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You do not need to re-assign a button to create a new folder for storing images.  Use the blue Playback menus to create a new folder and then to tell the camera to store images there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

I've attached a screen grab of page 755 of the R5's Advanced User Guide. You just need to scroll over to Wrench 1 and create a new folder and set it to current. It just takes a few seconds. Once you select "Folder" at the bottom of step 2, you will get more options. I have folders already made so I just select an empty folder and shoot my stack. Just don't forget to go back and change to your main folder when done, LOL!

R5 Folders.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thanks for the correction, Newton.  I thought the setting was in Playback Menus.

[EDIT] I recommend adding that menu item and focus bracketing to the user defined, custom menu.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Thanks for the correction, Newton.  I thought the setting was in Playback Menus.

You are welcome. With all the stuff you know about different cameras, it's understandable 🙂

I'm aware of the various ways to create a folder. I had hoped to find a simple one-step interface object as described in the Canon Focus Bracketing screen. It already takes numerous steps/clicks to enable and configure this function - I rarely want/need 100 images and usually want the tightest steps. Unfortunately, adding the Record func+, etc. menu item to my already bloated My Menu1,2,3 adds more steps to an already time-consuming setup process. (If you're trying to shoot an insect.) And whenever the camera shuts down or sleeps, Focus Bracketing settings are cleared.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the suggestions. As a software developer myself, encountering inefficient and cumbersome interfaces is a pet peeve. It would help if Focus Bracketing settings could be saved as a C1,2,3 custom configuration. Or better, simply add the referenced icon on the screen and create a default folder named "FocusBracket..." or some similar.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll just continue working without focus bracketing or sacrifice a button function until Canon changes their menu structure.

I hope some of this might help. I use the EOS R5 for making focus stacks and use Canon DPP as the stacking software, but have also used hugin on Debian Linux.

What I have done, is make a single image before I start the focus bracket that is easy to recognize when I get the images on a computer. Then make the focus bracket without making a separate folder on the camera. In Canon DPP software, I select all of the CR3 files after the recognizable one by click on the first one and shift click on the last one. Canon DPP makes a folder for intermediate files and saves a JPEG or a TIFF.

This, easier than an insect, was made with EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM crop lens because it focuses so nicely in small steps and I do not own a macro lens. (In this example, I was trying to prove a point and set the camera to the minimum focus increment when a larger one would have worked. Lighting was natural light from a window, 1/5 second, ISO 320, F/9)  Canon DPP made a directory DPP_DC_1 beneath my working directory and placed file there for each of the 40 CR3 files I selected to include in the focus stack plus a file .DATA.bin. I had previously saved a dr4 recipe file and applied it to all of the CR3 files. I am in the habit of not saving the CR3 files but leaving them unchanged and saving a recipe file. (programs other than DPP that I used on this image include graphicsmagick, exiftool, and Korn shell scripts that I wrote) Then I put it on my web server at https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2023Jul19_birds_and_cats/2023jul06_lens_DC_4596-4635.html for friends and family to view.

I am a retired software engineer, but I worked on mostly embedded firmware and sensor related stuff and not user interface.

Minolta Lens made in Japan MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm, with Urth adapter for use on Canon, depth composite made on July 6, 2023Minolta Lens made in Japan MC ROKKOR-X PG 1:1.4 f=50mm, with Urth adapter for use on Canon, depth composite made on July 6, 2023

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Nice work! Love the Minolta adaption.

I guess creating one or several folders in advance as suggested by FloridaDrafter is gonna be my best time-saving option. 

Announcements