cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon t3i + Rode MicPro

eugieb
Apprentice

Hi -

I just purchased a RODE micpro to use as an external mic for my Canon t3i.  When I went to set it up, the sound won't record or register when all is turned on and set.  Help!

-camera is turned on.  Set to Manual audio, 4 notches from left.

-Rode Mic is plugged in.  Top notches both set to right. (+20), as per instructions.

The db levels on the camera are not even budging.  (they do when I click the mic on/off).  I've also changed the battery of the mic.  What am I doing wrong here?  I've set everything according to the directions.

The internal camera mic works when set to Auto. 

Suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Possibly a defective mic, battery connector, or audio cable?  Does your PC or laptop have a 3.5mm mic input jack?  If so test it with one of those devices.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi -

I tested the mic with my mac, which has an input jack for audio and there was no sound, which means that it could be the mic.  Let me do more testing...will get back to you.

Stay tuned and thank you!

You are welcome and it sounds like a mic problem to me.  Given that you saw a brief pulse in the indicated level due to the transient created from turning the mic switch on/off it sounds like the mic element or the impedance transformer stage isn't functioning.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@eugieb wrote:

Hi -

I just purchased a RODE micpro to use as an external mic for my Canon t3i.  When I went to set it up, the sound won't record or register when all is turned on and set.  Help!

-camera is turned on.  Set to Manual audio, 4 notches from left.

-Rode Mic is plugged in.  Top notches both set to right. (+20), as per instructions.

The db levels on the camera are not even budging.  (they do when I click the mic on/off).  I've also changed the battery of the mic.  What am I doing wrong here?  I've set everything according to the directions.

The internal camera mic works when set to Auto. 

Suggestions?

I know zilch about audio, but I seem to recall a thread from sometime back where the OP was assuming that the mic would be powered by the camera, but the camera lacked that capability. Does this mic need its own batteries; and if so, are they installed?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I think it needs a 9 volt battery for power

Announcements