cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 AI Focus (PULSING) - EF Lenses

rascher
Contributor

I googled it, found that a lot of people are getting bad, blurry images from an anomaly in the eye focus mode. A focus pulsing occurs when keeping tracking active in the animal's eye.

The video below, from 10:00 on onwards shows exactly this problem.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lmjC07v8yI&t=471s  

In the Canon R6 manual it says that (ALL) EF lenses work with the use of the EF-EOS-R adapter. But nowhere in the manual does it report incompatibilities or focus issues related to the smart focus mode (eye focus).

drive.google.com/file/d/1RFP_2LmEDNksaPlnz7IiWuZjmFId8y2q/view?usp=sharing  

Link with images of a 100% static animal and still the focus shows (pulsing)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rascher
Contributor

I realize that the JUDGMENT about myself and what I have placed is a very toxic judgment. I will not write anymore here. This was my first post on this forum and will be my last. If I knew I was going to read so much nonsense and wrong speculation about me and my resumes, I really wouldn't have made the post.

Life goes on….

DCDF7D00-F1C3-46C3-AE61-FD9B1D6E0518.jpeg

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Hi Trevor,

If I disable the AI ​​tracking focus mode and use One Shot or Servo the images are perfect !!! the focus stays on the focused point !! I don't think it has a problem with the R6 body. I bought it a few weeks ago. Other people report this problem too, I'm not a unique case.

My comment about raising this with Canon tech support still stands.  If this is an issue with the Canon camera you have of the model then they can best help you.  This is a forum of volunteers who try to sort out issues that are not requiring a system change or repair.  Unfortunately this forum can't do anything more to assist you - you need to talk to a tech support person.

I would recommend that when doing so you give Canon the full and detailed description of all of the situations under which you experience these issues, including specifics of subject types and settings.  This will help them to help you by being able to gauge the range and scope of the situations under which you experience the pulsing.

If you want the best response to your issues, these suggestions are made to make your own experience more positive.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@rascher wrote:

Hello Trevor,

I photographed other animals, birds and lizards. I get every 20 images 4 or 5 sharp. With my old 5D mk3 I would never have such bad results…. In the images that I made available, the algorithm perfectly found the eyes of that animal, it's its own eyes, it's impressive, but the focus doesn't stay…… in the images in which the eyes were focused, the animal's body was not sharp! using f10 aperture!!! How is this explained? this insect's entire body should be in focus, it's a small insect!!! The depth of field is totally unrealistic!!

Hi Rodrigo.

Here is a screenshot of one of your images. The image data doesn't give the distance from camera to insect.

The insect head is nice and sharp but the body and tree trunk down from the head are soft.

Screenshot 2022-09-06 165147.jpg

I guess there are two possibilities - 1. f/10 does not produce sufficient DoF at that distance and focal length or 2. some phenomena is going on where during exposure parts of the image fall out of focus. I believe #1 is more likely.

AI Servo tracking is designed to identify and follow subjects as they move through the viewfinder. It does that by sampling the image and determining the location of a subject at points in time and predicting where the subject will be when the shutter actually opens. Your subjects appear stationary; the tree and insect look in the same location in all your images. It is possible that the camera is sensing its slight motion if you are touching the camera when you actuate the shutter and thinking that it is subject motion.

In any event, I would be using One Shot AF with spot focus on the eye bulge if I was taking those images. And I would check a DoF table to ensure that DoF was adequate.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@rascher wrote:

Hello Trevor,

I photographed other animals, birds and lizards. I get every 20 images 4 or 5 sharp. With my old 5D mk3 I would never have such bad results…. In the images that I made available, the algorithm perfectly found the eyes of that animal, it's its own eyes, it's impressive, but the focus doesn't stay…… in the images in which the eyes were focused, the animal's body was not sharp! using f10 aperture!!! How is this explained? this insect's entire body should be in focus, it's a small insect!!! The depth of field is totally unrealistic!!

Hi Rodrigo.

Here is a screenshot of one of your images. The image data doesn't give the distance from camera to insect.

The insect head is nice and sharp but the body and tree trunk down from the head are soft.

Screenshot 2022-09-06 165147.jpg

I guess there are two possibilities - 1. f/10 does not produce sufficient DoF at that distance and focal length or 2. some phenomena is going on where during exposure parts of the image fall out of focus. I believe #1 is more likely.

AI Servo tracking is designed to identify and follow subjects as they move through the viewfinder. It does that by sampling the image and determining the location of a subject at points in time and predicting where the subject will be when the shutter actually opens. Your subjects appear stationary; the tree and insect look in the same location in all your images. It is possible that the camera is sensing its slight motion if you are touching the camera when you actuate the shutter and thinking that it is subject motion.

In any event, I would be using One Shot AF with spot focus on the eye bulge if I was taking those images. And I would check a DoF table to ensure that DoF was adequate.

The camera appears to be angled above the horizon, which would only contribute to creating the impression that the camera is experiencing focusing issues.  

In other words, the shallow DoF created by the long focal length and the distance to the subject is only being made to appear even more shallow because of the camera angle to the subject.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

You are completely wrong in all your statements. As soon as I have time I will separate an image of a hummingbird taken near this angle and draw your conclusions again. Opening, subject distance and compare after I post.

@rascher wrote:

Hi Waddizzle,

You are completely wrong in all your statements. As soon as I have time I will separate an image of a hummingbird taken near this angle and draw your conclusions again. Opening, subject distance and compare after I post.

FYI, 4cm is roughly equivalent to 1.5 inches.  Assuming that you are using a 200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter.  At f/11, you do not achieve 1.5” DoF until your at a distance of 10 feet, or 3 meters, from the subject.

E9212C0E-67A1-41B7-84CA-6067C857F234.jpeg

Hello John,

The distance is in the attached JPG images, referring to each shot. It's written on the right. I have f10 images of hummingbird at a shorter distance and he is completely focused, full body!!! This insect is only 4 cm long!!! It should be completely within the depth of field!

@rascher wrote:

Hello John,

I selected Animals mode. Animals are animals in general. The camera identifies the eyes of ANY animal, even a dragonfly

Being as that is not what the camera manual or technical specifications state I guess I would ask you for your source for your conclusion.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Actually your use of the term in general is slightly misleading.  Canon clearly states the range of animals its eye tracking is designed for and that does not include insects.  As mentioned in the manual, the system follows a process: it first identifies the body, then the face and then the eye.  If the shape of the face and location of the eye are not within the parameters of the algorithm then it doesn't lock on the eye.

Again, I would recommend trying the eye tracking on other animal subjects to see if you have the same issue.

If you specialize in shooting insects, then you can always recommend to Canon that insect eye identification would be a feature you would like to see added.  They will take that on board.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@rascher wrote:

Hello John,

I selected Animals mode. Animals are animals in general. The camera identifies the eyes of ANY animal, even a dragonfly

If that were true, then I suspect that you would never created this post.

Announcements