cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Firmware Update Downloading Issues

lisa_Reny
Apprentice

I am trying to download the firmware update for the R5 (1.6.0). I have followed the directions about card format, only one card in the camera, in P mode. The issue is that I don't get a ZIP file, all I get is a EOSR5160.FIR Document 53.2MB.  I have done firmware updates before with no issues, I just can't get the correct downloaded files.  Any suggestions.

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Lisa

Actually if you have a .FIR file that does not need to be expanded like a zip file. You just copy that to a card, put it in the camera and run the firmware update process in the camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Hi Lisa

Actually if you have a .FIR file that does not need to be expanded like a zip file. You just copy that to a card, put it in the camera and run the firmware update process in the camera.

Hello all.

A caveat I would to this is to be sure where the file came from.

Every firmware I downloaded from Canon was always a ZIP file since it included both the FIR and the instructions.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority

Make sure the file size of your .FIR is 48,476,816bytes. Else something is broken.

Peter, I just downloaded firmware version 1.6.0 [Windows] for the Canon EOS R5, from Canon's UK support site, and the size of the .FIR file is 53,151,472 bytes.  So are you perhaps looking at the wrong version?

Note that all the country support sites are providing the identical update file.

Yes, I even looked at the wrong camera, R6 😕

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

First off, and very importantly, make sure that you're getting the right file.  You should only ever download a firmware update from the actual Canon support site.  I would send you the link, but I don't know what country you're in; but the URL should start with something like "https://www.canon.co.uk", or "https://www.usa.canon.com", or something like that.  There are infinitely many unscrupulous web sites that will try to trick you into downloading malware by disguising it as whatever you're looking for.

Having done that, the file you download (for Windows, Mac is different) should be a ZIP file, called "eosr5-v160-win.zip", size 58,227,201 bytes.  The idea is that you then unpack that file somewhere temporary.  It should contain several files: a folder called "update-procedure-pdf", containing instructions in multiple languages; and the actual firmware file, called "EOSR5160.FIR", size 53,151,472 bytes.

Note that the Windows file browser will often hide file suffixes.  You can change that in its settings (and in my opinion you should).

A really old, bad web browser, when downloading a ZIP file, might unzip it for you.  This would be weird, though, because where did it put the PDF files?  In any case you should be using a modern, up-to-date web browser for a whole host of security reasons.

If the file you downloaded came from a dubious site, or doesn't look like what I described, you should delete it at once and start again with a proper Canon support web site.

Once you get the right file, and have unpacked it, follow the instructions that came in the update.  (But, basically, you copy the .FIR file to your memory card.)

thanks for your response. I only go to the Canon USA site for the firmware updates. I will try this again.  

Hope you get this working.  The 1.6 firmware update on the Canon USA web site is absolutely definitely a ZIP file (for Windows, DMG for Mac), so if you get something else, something weird is going on.

If you double-click the ZIP file, it will open, and you will see the .FIR file, as well as the instructions folder.

Absolutely agree that one must be careful with what is downloaded, but I have had the experience that the ZIP file, being an executable, was pre-emptively opened by the OS (or I had given one too many clicks) and I was presented with the .PIR file.  I checked the status of the file and it was valid.   I checked and it was valid and I installed it with no issues on my R6 cameras and they are functioning perfectly.  Perhaps that is what happened to our OP...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements