cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update

mgammal
Contributor

Hi Canon,

After installing firmware 1.5, I was having my R5 freeze regularly with animal eye autofocus mapped to back button focus. I installed firmware update 1.5.1 this weekend hoping it will fix the issue. I went out today to shooting some shore birds. My R5 locked up 3 times in a period of 1.5 hours of shooting, one of the three was was with error E70. In all three cases, turning the camera off/on fixed the issue; this is different from firmware 1.5 freezes, where I had to take out the battery to fix the freeze. 

Please let me know if you need more information about the camera settings. I happy to share them. 

Regards, Mo

64 REPLIES 64

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings, mgammal

I'm sorry to hear about the freezing issues you're experiencing with your EOS R5 after updating the firmware to version 1.5.1. An Error 70 relates to an image related malfunction being detected by the camera. Please provide us with the camera settings, the lens you were using, if any accessories were attached to the camera, and shooting environment.

If possible, please test a different memory card with the camera to see if the same issue occurs. We recommend to format the memory card prior to using it and please note that formatting a memory card will erase all data from the card.

Hi NatalyaP, 

Thanks for your quick reply. To make sure my report is clear, only one of the three freezes was with error E70, the other two were just freezes while trying to acquire focus.

Lens:

I was using is Canon RF 100-500, with only the lens attached to the R5. The lens settings was: IS ON, IS mode 2, focus is set to 3m - infinity. Focal Length was at 500mm. 

Camera setting:

Servo focus

Animal eye autofocus assigned to back button focus

Focus method - was set to Expand Focus Area: Around 

Shutter button set up to metering only

Exposure simulation enabled

Display performance set to smooth

Environment:

Temp: 55 degree (f), around 2:30 PM, partly cloudy skies, subject: Oyster catchers on darker rocks and mallard ducks swimming near the shore, distance to subjects: ~15-45 meters, subjects were side lit. 

I have the settings saved to one of the custom modes, I'm happy to share them over email. 

Regards, Mo

Hi mgammal,

When Err70 happens on a camera it would freeze, so the two freezes without the error message could have still been related. The settings you listed are in line with what we would expect. Those settings shouldn't be causing the camera to freeze.

Typically Err70 is related to the camera being unable to write files to or read files from the memory card. I see you mentioned it was happening when you were focusing, but it would still be good to try loading different memory cards in the camera to see if the same thing happen.

If the issue continues the next step would be to attach a different lens on the camera and take some test shots to see if the same thing happens. That way it can be narrowed down to if the issue is being caused by the lens or the camera body. If the error is only coming up when your RF100-500mm lens is attached we would recommend sending the lens in for repair. If the error is coming up regardless of the lens attached and memory card used we would recommend sending the camera in for repair.

If you send the camera or lens in for repair make sure to include a copy of the proof of purchase in the box. The technician will need that to verify the warranty.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has created a new online repair portal that allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

Hi Hazel, 

I will try a different storage card to rule out a card problem. The freeze sequence was as follows:

1. A black out freeze during focusing, with no error message, turn the camera off/on, shoot some more for around 20 mins

2. A black out freeze during shooting, this time with Err70, turn the camera off/on, shoot some more for around 30 mins

3. A black out freeze during focusing, with no error message, turn the camera off/on, shoot some more for around 40 mins

Just more info, both the 100-500 lens and R5 just came back from a second a trip to CPS where they verified they are working correctly. 

Hi Hazel_T any updates to this?
Particularly mgammal's issue where the camera freezes just trying to acquire focus. Not the separate error 70 issue.
Others are reporting the same issue in this post so it's doesn't seem to be an isolated issue.

Hi NatalyaP any updates to this?
Particularly mgammal's issue where the camera freezes just trying to acquire focus. Not the separate error 70 issue.
Others are reporting the same issue in this post so it's not an isolated issue.

My R5 is still freezing even with the 1.7 update! Very embarrassing. 3 times during one 90 minute session, I had to shut down and remove the battery. Makes the client think I'm using sub-pro gear! Canon should be better than this! Its been a year since you posted this and still its an ongoing issue? That's just not right.

Greetings Lonnit,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this type of similar issue with firmware version 1.7.0. We have submitted your feedback but if you could, please follow the troubleshooting steps that was provided to the original poster to see if it helps resolve the issue. 

Please test a different memory card to see if the camera continues to freeze. If the camera continues to freeze then the next step is to suggest on sending the camera to our service facility.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. has created a new online repair portal that allows you to set up service in a few simple steps. The repair portal gives you the ability to set up service for multiple pieces of equipment at once, and to receive a repair estimate in the majority of cases, depending on your model and issue. The portal also allows you to upload images or videos that will assist us in repairing your product. You can also select how you wish to be notified of the progress of your repair. The portal's service history section allows you to view all services that have been performed on any of your camera or video products since January 7, 2020.

Please follow the link below to access our online repair

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com/signin

Instructions for Accessing and Using the Online Repair Portal

You will need to access or create your My Canon Account.

If you already have a My Canon Account and your product is already registered, simply click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you have a My Canon Account and your product is not registered, you must register your product first. Click on the “Get Repair Services” link on the left menu, then click on the “Register Product” link on the right. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

If you do not have a My Canon Account, you will need to create one. After you create your account, click on the “Add Product” link to register your first product. After your product is registered, click on the “Get Repair Service” link on the left menu and follow the onscreen instructions to arrange for service for your product.

Once you have completed the repair request, you will have an opportunity to print a copy of the request for your records. This request form will also contain shipping instructions and an address label that you will attach to the outside of your shipping box when mailing your equipment for repair.

I have two different cards in the camera and alternate between them. The freeze isn't related to the cards. How am I supposed to give up my camera for several weeks and be without it when I'm running a business? If I have to send it in, since its under warranty, Canon should supply me with a loaner camera while its being repaired, as this issue is Canon's fault, not due to any wrongdoing on my part.

The camera is only about 8 mo old. I've only had the freezing issue for a few months. I didn't have this problem from the start. Now I'm wondering if it was the 1.5 update that caused the issue or made it worse. I don't know the timing on when the freezing started, but 1.7 didn't fix it.

Announcements