cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update

mgammal
Contributor

Hi Canon,

After installing firmware 1.5, I was having my R5 freeze regularly with animal eye autofocus mapped to back button focus. I installed firmware update 1.5.1 this weekend hoping it will fix the issue. I went out today to shooting some shore birds. My R5 locked up 3 times in a period of 1.5 hours of shooting, one of the three was was with error E70. In all three cases, turning the camera off/on fixed the issue; this is different from firmware 1.5 freezes, where I had to take out the battery to fix the freeze. 

Please let me know if you need more information about the camera settings. I happy to share them. 

Regards, Mo

64 REPLIES 64

CanonUser123
Apprentice

I have had freezing issue with my R5 since I purchased it September 2021.  

1.  It freeze with screen/VF flashing as if it was cleaning buffer.  I was shooting speed skating aiming and waiting  to shoot only at a turn, not following the skaters all the way.  Shutter mode was multiple or multiple H.  I was not even on H+ mode nor pressing shutter to long.  I switched to use my backup camera and went back to the R5 after 10 minutes, it was still flashing.   I turned it off and on, same thing.   I had to take the battery out a few time to get it fix. 

Gear: R5, EF 100-400 ii, Converter, Sony Touch CFexpress B, 128GB, SanDisk CFexpress B 128GB

2.  Recently, it freeze more often.  More frequent on slow shutter 1/40 - 1/60.  It is very frustrating as i would miss the actions at sport events.  The freeze had happened on both the Sony and SanDisk card, hence, It is not card dependent. 

I am contemplating whether to take it for service but i can not deal with not having the camera for a lengthy time.  I have not experienced these technical issue with my previous   DSLR Canon cameras.  I am seeking a  solution to fix this issue. 

Thanks. 

seanun
Contributor

Short version of my experience - my R5 had freezing issues that got progressively worse.  Sent it in to Canon after 1st month and they returned it saying they found no issue.  Spent 6 mths trying to figure out any settings, lens etc that may be causing issue.  I could never find a root cause.  Sent it in to Canon again & they said main board was faulty and replaced it.  Seems to be working fine now but I haven’t had it back very long.  My conclusion, Canon is aware of this issue and struggling to find a solution.  The camera HW seems to have a design margin or quality control issue with many cameras working ok and some that freeze.  It’s likely that people with persistent issues need a board replacement.

Lonnit
Apprentice

I'm on version 1.7 and it was very upsetting and embarassing to be on a corporate shoot today and have my camera freeze up 3 times! The first two times I tried to shut it off but it wouldn't, so I had to pop out the battery. The 3rd time, I got a black screen with a couple of diagonal red and white stripes and then a message came up telling me to shut it off and pop the battery! This definitely needs to be fixed!

Hi Lonnit,

I will start a new thread on this. Today, I experienced a similar problem. My camera's firmware is 1.7 and I am using CFexpress and SD cards. While shooting outdoor videos in a temperature of about 30.2°F, the camera stopped recording and froze for about one to two minutes. The video was not recorded in any of the cards. This has never happened to me before and it was very frustrating.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This thread is in regards to the R5 and FW 1.5.1 and 1.5.2.

You are using FW 1.7.0.  If you'd like assistance, I would suggest starting your own thread. Since there hasn't been anything definitive as to the cause, please include the steps to reproduce the issue.  Information about the hardware you are using when it happens and any other observations you believe is relevant.  This will make it easier for others who might be in the same situation or able to offer assistance.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements