cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update

mgammal
Contributor

Hi Canon,

After installing firmware 1.5, I was having my R5 freeze regularly with animal eye autofocus mapped to back button focus. I installed firmware update 1.5.1 this weekend hoping it will fix the issue. I went out today to shooting some shore birds. My R5 locked up 3 times in a period of 1.5 hours of shooting, one of the three was was with error E70. In all three cases, turning the camera off/on fixed the issue; this is different from firmware 1.5 freezes, where I had to take out the battery to fix the freeze. 

Please let me know if you need more information about the camera settings. I happy to share them. 

Regards, Mo

64 REPLIES 64

Exactly the same as mine. Thanks for responding. I thought I was crazy or doing something wrong or got a lemon at first. Especially since switching from another system.

mgammal
Contributor

Hey Canon support, 

I captured the settings I use to duplicate this problem. I posted it here for your reference https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17tHQ43gnQcgsxlu0uv7q-cgfKizXpGBP?usp=sharing

Please use C3 (Custom settings 3) with back button focus to test. 

I'm happy to provide more information. 

Regards, Mo 

I would encourage others who are having the same problem to save their settings and share it with Canon. Hopefully doing so, will make it easier for the engineers to find and fix the problem. 

BobbieAB
Contributor

FYI - a firmware release 1.5.2 just was posted today.

I'm quite nervous about installing this update. I'm not afraid it is going to damage the camera, but my fear is that there will be no improvement for all my freezing issues and that would be disappointing. I so want this camera to work properly. I hope others who have had the issue and decided to install 1.5.2 will give a report.   I probably will go ahead and do the install and what is, is. If it is still a problem, my last resort will be to send it in to Canon to see if anything can be done. 

Hi Lindat,  

Has your freezing issue been resolved?  

Thanks. 

danielbettymain
Apprentice

I installed the update and went out and took a couple thousand images with the 100 to 500 with the configuration that was freezing on me earlier today... Using all manner of back button animal eye focus, electronic and manual shutter. Held electronic shutter a bunch of times till the buffer filled and NO FREEZE ups so fingers crossed this helped. 

Thank you for the update. I'm going to download and install and hope for the best.

That's GREAT news!! I've downloaded and installed but not gone out to test. After getting your report, I am super encouraged and hopeful that this will do the trick. 

Same here. I will try it later today or tomorrow, and report back. 

Announcements