cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 3 help needed for a newbie! Dashed line that keeps blinking on and off

sk201020
Apprentice

Hi! I'm a big newbie to film cameras so I need some help. 😞 I have been reading the manual for it as well but I am still so confused. 

My canon EOS 3 has this dashed line that keeps blinking on and off (pictures provided below) and it won't even let take a photo. 

image0 (1).jpegimage1.jpeg 

Is there something wrong with how the film is loaded? I did put a new film in like a few weeks ago, but then the battery died right away. I finally got to replace the battery and turned it on today- and this happens. I always take photos in the auto mode (still learning about all the nitty gritty film stuff). What does this mean and how can I get rid of it? Thank you so much for your help in advance! 

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

EOS 3, released 1998. If you are referring the line below the EV indicator, I'm thinking it looks like film transport.  

Let me see if I can reach out to confirm.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, my "knee jerk" observation is the film hasn't advanced or has failed to load. The icon looks like a film roll to me and the dashes are the film, LOL!

@sk201020, if my observation is correct, the pickup spool may have missed the tag and needs to be re-done. It's been a while since I loaded film 🙂

Newton

LOL! We all posted at about the same time.

Newton

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Those are the "film transport bars" and indicate that the film has not been loaded properly and is not advancing.  Try removing and reloading the film making sure that the leader is engaged with the take up sprocket teeth.

With the film properly loaded and the film back closed, the film will advance and 1 will appear in the middle lower box indicating the film is ready for exposure of image #1.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks Rodger!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

When loading (or reloading) your film, pay particular attention to the direction in which the film take-up spool rotates when you cycle the film advance lever. (Never mind . . .)

No advance lever on that camera. As others have stated, film hasn’t been properly loaded into takeup spool. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for the clarification. If I'd looked a little closer at the pics the OP attached I might have noticed that. Don't think I've ever even seen an EOS3 in the wild before.

No wonder I'm the only one to make that suggestion. 😕

EOS 3 had Eye Control Focus. Very temperamental. Did not work well if someone wore glasses. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
click here to view the gallery
Announcements