cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 90D will not focus nor take pictures

gunnycc
Contributor

I was at an air show and was using my D90 and was on Manual mode. I was using a 70-200iii along with the extender. I was shooting in high speed. This was the second day doing this. The Blue Angels were flying and I just kept clicking. The camera then said busy and stayed like that for a long time. I had to turn off take memory card our remove battery, then re-install and turn on. It would then work for aJet Close and clear sm.jpgbout 2 or 3 pictures then it wouldn't say busy, it would just not focus and not take a picture. I had to do this several times, then tried it with manual mode, same thing; then tried, auto shooting mode and manual, same 2 or 3 pictures then not focus and not take pictures. Having a lens belt I quickly removed extender, same issue, switched lenses, same issue.Any ideas??? I would hate to be at another time sensitive performance and not be able to take pictures.

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

BUSY.  Usually means the camera is processing data and writing to the card.  Was the red light on that indicates card access lit, too?  It could also mean an issue with the SD card itself.  Change it.

How many in-camera image processing settings are enabled?  Do you shoot RAW?  These settings can be an issue, especially if you shoot JPG.  I leave all of them disabled. 

Do you use an automatic shooting mode or one of the creative modes, P, Tv, Av, or M?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, I thought it could be processing since it initially happened when I shot a series of pictures high speed shooting both jpg and RAW; however, to try to eliminate that I removed high speed went back to single shot and the camera would lock up after taking 1 to 3 shots spaced apart. I do shoot "M" and tried it on several two different lenses. It seems that when the jets are flying fast at a far distance the auto focus would take a while and then lock up the camera. on either lense. Lense configuration was either the L2.8 70-300 USM IS II with extender and without extender then the 17-55 2.8 IS USM. It would work normal for about 1-3 shots, if I turn off, take memory card out, remove battery, then re-install and turn on. Trying to watch the jets (and freaking out a bit) did not notice any red lights except for the first time it said "busy".. I believe after that, I did not see anything. It just simply stopped working. Camera on and nobody home...weird. No focus, no ability to take picture.

Thank you for your help.

Are you using the Canon mount adapter?  Disable all in-camera image processing.  What type of memory card?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

gunnycc
Contributor

Waddizzle,

Thank you for replying. I am using a Canon Mount adapter. I was using a Scandisk 1 Terabyte card. Thinking that is MORE than enough space I did not bring another card. I switched cards the next day and it seems to work fine. I then placed the card in my laptop and the pictures can be viewed BUT not deleted. After further research it seems that there will come a time in memory cards where the switch to enable/disable read/write will fail! I have not had this card long at all, but alas, it has failed. I will try to copy those pix that i like then just stow away the card. Lesson is I always take a backup memory card. With 1 terabyte of memory I decided at the last minute not to take another. Mistake won't happen again..

Waddizzle, Once again thank you for your time and effort not many people give that!

I like reading questions and replies. They don't always relate to my Canon T7 but one never knows what might apply to it. I'm far from an expert but I always make sure I have two batteries charged: one for the camera and one in the pocket. Carry an extra memory card, too.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is best to use the SD cards recommended in your manual.  It is always a bad idea to use very large SD cards because you think you might run out of space. Several smaller SD cards are always best.

Just a thought but perhaps pertinent, it is SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO. Not "Scandisk 1 Terabyte card." Are you sure it is not a counterfeit SD card? Always buy from a known good etialer. Amazon and ebay are not known good retailers. Also never use a micro- SanDisk 1TB SD card. Did I say never because I mean never ever!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for the reply more to think about.

The card is authentic and have used it for over a year. Malfunctioning... I guess I was overdue. I have used many cards over the years and never had an issue. Statistics will catch up. Large memory cards aren't  too bad in my experience, it is a bigger problem when transferring to PC and sorting through. I think I will return to 128gig. That I think is a happy medium in case I have a few videos.  Have been using that for a while and no problems there. Like I stated earlier usually I carry a backup, but I was in a hurry out the door grabbed the camera and lens belt. Gotta get me a mem card holder that I can place on belt... water proof, durable and secure. The lens belt I have found to be advantageous. Changing lenses are really fast and easier for me with rotator cuff damage on shoulders.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My 1 DX uses CF cards. I usually use 32gb and I usually have 6 on me at a time. I hear you on video but I don’t do vids.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

gunnycc
Contributor

Well now, here's the latest. I switched memory cards and it happened again, so no it was NOT the memory card. I called the Cannon support rep and after explaining all and discussing he said the camera's circuit board could be the problem and take it in. (Nice having the Carepak!!!) Here is the final thing I said shutter button isn't clicking the viewfinder numbers are on, even after turning off, even after turned off, and the battery lid in the open position the camera is still on. Good thing I got another backup camera!

Announcements