cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D and 90D minor but nuisance issues

socal_airshow
Apprentice

Having some minor issues with both my 80D and 90D bodies. Haven't used them very much, so there could be a bit of 'operator error' factor here.  My 80D has suddenly stopped allowing me to do manual exposure compensation. When I try it when looking thru the viewfinder, an "L" comes up and flashes. My 90D is having three issues - #1, with autofocus selection. Even though I select the area and mode, it they don't seem to stay selected and the camera keeps telling me to choose 'em. Fortunately it's not impacting whether or not the shutter will fire. Just a bit of an nuisance. #2, while scrolling through photos (some of us aviation photogs call it "chimping"), the camera keeps zooming in rapidly on the images - I have no control over it. What the? It's almost like the button you press to zoom in on em, is acting like it's stuck, but it doesn't look stuck. And #3, a flashing red light - presumably the same one you'd see as the camera is writing to the card, never stops flashing when I power up the camera. It only stops when I open the sd card door.  Another "what the?". 

Any thoughts? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hello socal_airshow I would check to see if the lock switch isn't enabled on the back of the camera. If it is "L" will flash in the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired), EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Hello socal_airshow I would check to see if the lock switch isn't enabled on the back of the camera. If it is "L" will flash in the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM (Retired), EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D (Retired) & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

yep, that did it. Thanks for the info! 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If the red light keeps flashing, it means that is writing to the card. I suggest you either replace the card or format it in the camera.You can lose data if the door is opened while the light is flashing.

Also, what shooting mode are you in? You cannot set exposure compensation in Manual mode.

I think Demetrius nailed it.  The [LOCK] switch may be the culprit.

You can set EC when in Manual mode provided you have ISO set to Auto.  I think of this configuration as Ev, mode, Esposure Priority.  Dialing in EC directly impacts the ISO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks. Yes he got it. I checked the camera and sure enough that was it. Thanks!

I'm almost always in Shutter Priority or Aperture Priority mode.  On my 90D the red light shuts off like it should, however on my 80D it never stops, even if I've only turned the camera on and have not shot a frame. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

And now you have corrected me. We are even. 8^)

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements