cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair costs for two busted lenses

AlwaysCanon
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a Canon EF 100mm Macro 2.8 IS with the focus ring spinning into itself and having a very hard time finding focus even when on auto.

And a Canon 17mm Tilt/Shift that got a lens scratch on top left, its small and can be removed in post, but due to the bowing of the lens it is creating a light colored halo that may pose issues in post for some photos.

I am trying to find out how Canon views these issues in terms of repairs/cost: Minor, Standard or Major?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Bill-the-K
Apprentice

Hi,

I can't comment on the 100mm but a few years ago I scratched the lens on my 17 TS-E. I am a Canon CPS Platinum member and get a good discount on repair, but it still was around the $900 mark for replacement.  If I remember they replaced the front lens group.  Great job as always from them but it was definitely an ouch moment.  There is an old trick you may want to try where you can use a little black paint or Sharpie just on the scratch.  Basically just fill it in and use a   This may help with the flaring as the light won't catch the edge of the scratch.  Might not work as it is a pretty wide lens but it is worth a try.  

Bill the K

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The best thing to do is register the lenses in your MyCanon account. Then, initiate a repair request. You'll be given a quote.  

At that point you can determine how you want to proceed.  Move forward with repair, or replace with used option, etc.  

https://myprofile.americas.canon.com

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

On the Canon EF 100mm Macro 2.8 IS check how much a good used copy is before yo uget an estimate. A used replacement may be cheaper than the repair. I had to have the front element replaced on my ef 85mm f1.2L and it was $385 several years ago.

I have never had a T&S serviced but I can imagine they are much more expensive since they are more complex. But if you call this number 1 (800) 652-2666 they will be able to help you.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements