cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best 28mm lens? EF 28mm f1.8 USM or EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM?

Plankowner110
Contributor

Which Canon EF 28mm lens would you pick for full frame and why: the 28mm f/1.8 USM or the 28mm f/2.8 IS USM?

Thanks.

Plankowner110
6D
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... I found it was not sharp wide open."

One more thing, almost no lens is at its best wide open.  This lens (the 28mil f1.8) will be no exception I imagine.  The fact is, if you need, or want, f1.8 and don't have it because your lens only goes to f2.8, how much does a slight drop in sharpness mean?  Make sense?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I would go with the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM. 

I owned the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM briefly but sold it because I found it was not sharp wide open. 

Most reviewers say the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM is soft wide open, and even when stopped down to f/2.8, it is still not as sharp as the IS lens wide open at at f/2.8

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I take the other side of the debate.  As I would go for the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Lens .  I don't own it and I do own the f2.8 version.  However, if I were to purchase again it would be the f1.8. 

First, most people love the f1.8 lens.  More so than the ones that don't if you are a believer in the reviews which I am not.  I tend to make my own judgements. There is sharpest and then there is sharp enough.  Pixel peepers tend to be caught up in that world but rarely are they regular real world users. Example, I sold my Siggy 50mm f1.4 lens in favor of the EF 50mm f1.2L.  The Siggy is regarded as the sharpest 50mm lens made.  But it doesn't even come close to the capability of the Canon 50mm f1.2L in the hands of a real photographer in real use. Not sorry at all for that trade. The same is true I believe for the 28mm f1.8. The old saying, "No lens is too fast.", rings true.  More than a stop faster, that is a no brainer to me, f1.8 all the way.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... I found it was not sharp wide open."

One more thing, almost no lens is at its best wide open.  This lens (the 28mil f1.8) will be no exception I imagine.  The fact is, if you need, or want, f1.8 and don't have it because your lens only goes to f2.8, how much does a slight drop in sharpness mean?  Make sense?

EB

heretakis
Contributor

Ken Rockwell  review of the 28mm f/2.8: compared to the 28/1.8 USM

The 28mm f/1.8 USM (1995-) is a very different lens.

The f/1.8 is two-and-a-half times more sensitive to light, but has no IS.

For low-light action shots, the 28mm f/1.8 is more than twice as good for stopping action, but if the subject holds still, the 28/2.8 IS can be sharper at slow shutter speeds hand held.

IS can't help if the subject's moving.

The 28/1.8 also makes great sunstars, while this IS lens can't.

Personally I own a 28/1.8 and don't plan to replace it with this lens. The IS version is a little sharper in a laboratory, while I prefer the better sunstars and better low-light ability of the f/1.8 lens that I can see. The price is about the same, with the f/1.8 costing about $50 less in 2015.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

6 year old thread my friend. I doubt anyone cares any longer. And it has an accepted solution.

EB

The lens is even older. 🙂

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

That's not the point the point is the thread is an old one a very old one and nobody is around to read or need it.

EB

heretakis
Contributor

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Are you a troll? What's that got to do with photography?

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements