cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you upgrade the R7 Camera using a USB cable?

mmills79
Contributor

Hi,

I am using UHS-II cards in my R7. I don't have a UHS-II card reader. So I use the USB cable to upload my pictures from the camera to my Windows PC. That works well.

However, I can't seem to be able to use the USB to C cable to download the newest firmware version to the root of a reformatted SD (UHS-II) card. I can clearly see the root directory of the card on my PC using the USB cable (when the card is mounted in the camera slot 1). Why shouldn't you be able to use a USB cable to download the firmware to the SD card when the card is in the camera and you have set up a connection to the PC?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's a built-in function of the linux operating system. Only the admin/superuser can access the root  directory of the card while it's mounted (accessible by the camera). That's why the camera has a handful of folders (DCIM, etc.). A normal user (you) will never be able to access the root of the card, or the camera's base OS - to prevent damaging the firmware. 

TL;DR: No, this can't be overridden. You do need this protection, or you can potentially damage your camera and break your camera. 

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

It's curious...

The PC apparently sees the SD card mounted in the camera as a storage device since I can transfer the images stored on the SD card from the camera over a USB connection to the PC. So, I am befuddled why I can't transfer a file in the opposite direction (from PC to SD card in camera over USB)? I think it has to be a bug.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I've used all 3 methods, EOS Utility (once years ago), USB cable and card reader.

Card reader is the #1 recommendation, but there is no reason why you should not be able to copy data to and from the camera's memory card when the camera is connected via cable. It becomes a mass storage device and to the computer (PC or MAC) it is viewed as removeable storage.

If you are not going to use a card reader, then remove your photos from the card.  Format the card in camera.  Now connect it to your PC or Mac and copy the .FIR file to the root directory of the card.  

Disconnect from your PC, use a freshly charged battery and perform the update.  Also note, a UHS-I card reader can read your UHS-II card, just slower.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That is exactly how I tried to do it.

I formatted the SD card in the camera, left it in the camera, connected the camera to the USB cable and the USB cable to my windows HP computer. I opened file explorer and browsed to the SD card - no problem accessing the SD card over USB. I opened a second file explorer and browsed to the .fir file on my computer. I first tried to drag and drop the .fir between the computer file explorer window to the SD card file explorer window and that did not work. I then tried to copy and paste between the two windows and that did not work either. So, on my R7 at least, I cannot write to the SD card in this manner.

Lisaa77
Contributor

Although upgrading the firmware on your R7 camera is possible via USB cable, there are specific limitations to consider. The type of cable used and the method of transferring firmware to the SD card can cause issues. Transfer speed is one of the most common issues since not all USB cables support UHS-II cards' high speeds, which can result in errors when transferring firmware. Moreover, some SD cards may not be compatible with certain cameras or firmware updates, so it's vital to format your SD card correctly and ensure it's compatible with the R7 camera.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I just tried it with a Rebel. Cannot paste the .fir to the camera when the card is showing. Works fine in card reader. It bings a sound when I try to paste to camera. 

My 1D X Mark III used CFExpress cards; they are treated as hard drives. Same behavior trying to paste .fir to the camera. The .fir is on the card (loaded in reader). It shows in the reader but all the camera shows is the two folders. Doesn't show the .fir or two configuration files that are on the card.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

normadel
Authority
Authority

Is this a universal issue?  Some time ago I tried to move/copy a file from my computer to one of my EOS cameras via USB cable. I think it was a firmware update file. It would not work.

Is this perhaps something Canon does not allow?

@normadel wrote:

Is this a universal issue?  Some time ago I tried to move/copy a file from my computer to one of my EOS cameras via USB cable. I think it was a firmware update file. It would not work.

Is this perhaps something Canon does not allow?

Yes, writing to the memory card in the camera is not allowed.  Always has been.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Stephen

Have you tried a firmware update using the Camera Connect app

Hi,
I am now aware of several methods (other than a direct USB connection) to upgrade the camera firmware so upgrading firmware in and of itself is not what I am trying to understand right now.

A response earlier has said you cannot write to a Canon Camera mounted SD card (from a PC directly over USB using windows file manager) for security reasons. I guess this is a Canon philosophy. We know however, the EOS utility can write to the camera over USB so I guess I am just wondering why was security a concern with directly writing to an SD card directly over USB? I just prefer to connect the camera simply & directly to my PC over USB (as I do with the card in my phone to transfer music) and use windows utilities for all file transfers from and to the camera. All you should need is a USB cable.

Is there a way to turn off this security protection? If not, so be it but, I'm thinking this could certainly be a user selectable menu function. I personally don't need this protection.

It's a built-in function of the linux operating system. Only the admin/superuser can access the root  directory of the card while it's mounted (accessible by the camera). That's why the camera has a handful of folders (DCIM, etc.). A normal user (you) will never be able to access the root of the card, or the camera's base OS - to prevent damaging the firmware. 

TL;DR: No, this can't be overridden. You do need this protection, or you can potentially damage your camera and break your camera. 

Announcements