cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get photos to transfer from Canon 5D Mark IV to iPad

Wil130553
Contributor
Hello,

Can't get photos to transfer from Canon 5D Mark IV to iPad via cable but only when I remove one of the cards. Doing this with the 5D mark iii is no problem. What am I doing wrong? 

Nb. All latest firmware installed.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Its an iOS problem it seems.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4205659
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Apple EU HQ took my case seriously and remotelly collected data from my iPad and forwarded case to technical center.

i believe they will fix this problem...hope...

Have again installed latest firmware on my camera and problem solved

22 REPLIES 22

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 5D III doesn't have WiFi.  The 5D IV does.

For Canon cameras that DO support WiFi, it's important to know that only ONE interface type can be active at a time.

This means if you enable WiFi on the 5D IV, then the side-effect is that you have disabled the USB interface (you wont be able to transfer images via the cable.)

You can either (a) use the "Canon Connect" app (available free from the iOS "App Store") and transfer the images via WiFi -or- (b) you can disable the WiFi (which re-enables the USB interface) and use the cable to transfer the images.

Keep in mind that iOS doesn't understand how to decode RAW files (RAW files do contain an embedded thumbnail which is a small JPEG version of the image ... and it might display that depending on which software you use, but wont be able to open a .CR2 (RAW) file.)  

If you shot in RAW, there is a menu on the camera to convert your RAW images to JPEG images (typically I shoot and save RAW to just one memory card.  When I have the camera do the conversion, I tell it to use the second card as the target.  That way all the RAW images are on one card, and all the JPEG are on the other.)   

If you use that option, you'll have to select answers to questions for things that aren't applied to RAW files (things like white balance, picture style, etc.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim, thanks for the guidence. Will try this out

Hi, 

my wifi is switched off but still cannot download the files from the camera direct into thr iPad. This only works when I remove one of the cards first.  This strange behavior is not taken place when I use the 5D Mark iii 

Any other suggestions welcome

@Wil130553 wrote:

Hi, 

my wifi is switched off but still cannot download the files from the camera direct into thr iPad. This only works when I remove one of the cards first.  This strange behavior is not taken place when I use the 5D Mark iii 

Any other suggestions welcome

Are you sure you're trying to download from the right card? I'll venture a guess that you can only download from the card the camera is set to use. If you remove a card, that action automatically sets the camera to use the other, thus removing any ambiguity.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

‘Hi Bob, yes I am sure and which card slot I use it does not matter.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That is the same behavior as the 1D X. Seems to be normal behavior for the newer models. 

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Problem-transferring-photos-from-5D4-to-iPad-Pro-or-iPhone-X/...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,  same issue and same behavior. Perhaps we need a firmware update

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Its an iOS problem it seems.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4205659
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

that doesnt fix the problem for me

regardless having one or two cards inside (and also which one)

the Gallery App starts on

- iPad Pro 2018 12,9 inch (3rd gen) iOS 12.1.3 (and before) on connecting the

- Canon 5D Mark IV Firmware 1.1.2

but the import button / screen does not show up on the ipad

(wireless is off)

(i am using 2 different original apple USB-C to USB connectors which are working with my other cameras but not with the 5D)

Announcements