cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can EOS M50 Mark II detect multi-face and eyes?

KLEEDDS
Apprentice

I have Canon M50 Mark II and it can only detect one face (and that person’s eye). When I use iPhone, it can detect multi faces (every faces on group photo). I don’t know why face and eye detection for M50 MarkII is this way. Am I missing something? I don’t mean as, to get group photo, goes F stop higher instead of shallow depth of field. I meant as, camera can’t detect multi faces and multi eyes. I don’t know this is just limited to M50 Mark II or all Canon camera. Thank you in advance for advices. 

3 REPLIES 3

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi KLEEDDS,

The EOS M50 Mark II is only able to focus on and track one face or set of eyes at a time. There is not a way for the camera to focus on or track multiple faces at the same time. 

Thank you for the reply! I spent so much time trying to figure this out. I appreciate your reply. Does other ones like R7 be able to do it? I be interested in upgrading camera if it can do multi faces and eye recognition. 

Dedicated cameras do not use the same focusing systems as cell phones. Cell phones have lenses with tiny physical focal lengths, and intensely use AI and computational photography to acquire and process images to create the effect of focusing on multiple subjects simultaneously.   I am not aware of any dedicated cameras that will do that at present.

Dedicated cameras use optics to manage what is in focus by controlling Depth of Field.  You can achieve the same result (without the multiple face selections) by having a greater DoF.

Depth of field has three basic principles: Greater DoF is achieved by:

1. A lens with a short focal length 
  2. Being further away from the subject
  3. Using a smaller lens aperture - (which is actually a larger f/stop value)

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements