cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera recommendations for Music + Sports photography?

shandelier
Apprentice

Hi! I'm a current photojournalism student saving up for a camera. I'm most familiar with the Canon 70D because that's what we use at my journalism school, however I'd really love to upgrade and get a camera of my own. I'm most passionate about covering stories that involve music (concerts, music festivals, etc.) and sports (football, gymnastics, etc.). I want to get a camera that can handle both of those areas fairly well, but I'm not sure which camera body would best suit my needs. I'm open to DSLR or mirrorless. Any advice or thoughts are welcome! Thank you for reading 🙂 

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are looking to make photography a career my suggestion would be to look into the EOS R7 mirrorless camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

rs-eos
Elite

Would also recommend the EOS R7.  However, you didn't state how much you'd be able to spend.  So if the EOS R7 is outside your budget, you can look at other models such as the EOS R10, R50 and R100 (listed from most expensive to least expensive).

Though note that as you move from the R7 to the less expensive models, you end up with less features.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm open to DSLR or mirrorless."

Being a younger person and starting out from zero you most assuredly want a mirrorless model. It is the future as you are.

Although, I admit, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the 90D, still best go is mirrorless.

A 90D coupled with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens is a killer combo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

edithpatel
Apprentice

Hey there! Since you're into both music and sports photography, consider checking out the Canon EOS R6 or the Sony Alpha a7 III. These mirrorless cameras offer great versatility, fast autofocus, and excellent low-light performance – perfect for capturing dynamic moments at concerts and sports events. Plus, you can listen to your favorite Spotify playlists while editing your shots for the ultimate creative experience. Best of luck with your photography journey!

James_C

Hi Shandelier,

Our Camera Buying Guide is a great place to start: https://canon.us/CameraBuyingGuide. If you'd like one-on-one help narrowing down your options, contact our friendly Sales Team at 800-385-2155. They're available Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (ET).

We hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... or Sony Alpha a7 III."

The problem there is they don't have Canon lenses which are the best lenses made and Sony has not got any where near the line-up Canon has even if they were as good.

Not to mention the very much better customer service Canon has.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

shandelier,

Since you are just starting out, remember to set aside a couple of hundred dollars for the accessories you are going to need down the road: a tripod, a spare battery, memory cards (most cameras don't come with a memory card - they're extra}, maybe a camera bag to carry your stuff, a USB cable to transfer your photos to your computer, etc.

You said that you were open to DSLR or mirrorless. That's a decision you should make first. That will drive any future purchases you want to make, e;g, lenses. Do a Google search and try to read a couple of articles on. DSLR vs. mirrorless and see what feels most comfortable to you.

If at all possible, try to visit a Walmart or a Target or a Best Buy, or a camera store if there is one nearby. Don't go in there with any intention to buy. Just go in and pick up a couple of cameras. See what feels comfortable in your hands.Look at the controls and see how they are laid out. Check out the weight and see if it feels too heavy or too light.

Steve Thomas

Announcements