cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter stuck - Rebel T6 records top of image.

Krixy
Contributor

my Cannon rebel  T6 is only taking the top of a picture. It seems that the shutter is getting stuck. Any advice on how to fix that? I have cleared out all the settings on the camera but still can’t get it to work..

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Does stuck mean it doesn't work? If that's so there isn't anything the average person can do to fix it. Even if it works slowly you are still out of luck. Most of all never put anything smaller than a football in the mirror box where the shutter lives.

More bad news it may not be economically wise to have a new shutter installed. The last one I knew about cost $350 bucks and was a few years ago.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It will only take the top of the picture and the bottom is black… it’s like it’s struggling to move. I unfortunately cleaned it with a Q-tip and after I did that it took two pictures after and started struggling to do anything. I am a beginner with taking pictures and  know nothing about cameras

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

ebiggs1 is correct, as usual. The camera needs to be sent in for a new shutter repair. Contact Canon.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Would the cost of repair justify keeping the camera or putting the $$$ to another camera?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I am going to take the camera down to the college and see if anybody can possibly fix it. If not, I will be getting another camera😀 thank you guys so much for your reply. I will probably look on marketplace as my funds are limited and any suggestions on a camera that’s a step up and not outrageously prized? I am definitely having withdrawals,😂

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Would the cost of repair justify keeping the camera or putting the $$$ to another camera?"

Of course all of us are different and have different needs and priorities but as for myself, I would look for another camera. Hopefully a newer model.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I unfortunately cleaned it with a Q-tip ..."

Not good krixy. Keep the football example in mind for your new camera. There is nothing in the mirror box that you can help, only damage.

EB
Announcements