cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera body upgrade? - Upgrade advice from EOS Rebel T3i

Vannoyes182
Contributor

I have been trying to get good photos of my sons wrestling matches. I have a Canon Rebel t3i and recently purchased a used Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8mm Di VC USD lens which can know is a dinosaur but it has the f2.8 and my budget was under $500 so this fit the bill. My photos are better but still not as sharp as I’d like. I shoot in manual at f2.8 ISO1600 1/500 shutter speed in Al Servo. The photos are quite grainy but I fix this as much as I can while editing. Do I need to upgrade my camera body? If so, what would you recommend? I’d like to stay around $400 and used or refurbished is fine. Another parent shoots with a Nikon 70-300mm f4.5 and gets as good if not better results. Her camera body is newer so I’m wondering if that’s my problem. Any advice? Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

rs-eos
Elite

Yes, a newer camera body (R-series line) will indeed provide you much better ISO performance.  So an ISO 1600 image on a new body will be much cleaner than an ISO 1600 on your Rebel T3i.

However, there would be concern as to if your third-party lens would be fully compatible.  You would also need an EF to RF apdater for allowing you to connect your lens to an R-series camera.

About the only camera that would be within your budget is the EOS R100.  Body only right now is around $430.  And with an RF-S 18-45mm lens, it's on sale right now for right at $500.   An EF to RF adapter though (do stick with the Canon brand) is $130.   These prices are for new items.  I didn't check to see the current refurbished items at Canon.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks so much for your input. I will look at the EOS R100. 

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

$400 is NOT going to get a new up to date camera body. DSLR cameras are rapidly being discontinued and being replaced by mirrorless cameras. If you can find a camera body in that price range. The only new thing would be a new sensor. The AF system would be the exact same. Your camera uses the 9 point AF system which was released in 2004 with the EOS 20D. My old EOS 40D uses that same AF system. This AF system is very slow in low light especially with lenses with slower and cheaper AF motors. Are you finding problems in low light. Please post some pictures in the forum. When it comes to new bodies too 3rd party lens compatibility is hit or miss. It would mount but not function correctly and cause error messages or cause other weird things to happen.

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 40D (Retired) & EOS 5D Mark IV (Current)
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4 (Brought out of Retirement) & EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

Thanks for your input. Yes, I’m having trouble in low light. It does seem like the lens cannot keep up when auto focusing. I am still in the return window so it could be returned if needed. These photos are straight from the camera. 
ISO1600  f2.8  1/500s  200mm

IMG_7232_Original.jpeg

 ISO 1600 f2.8 1/500s 75mm

IMG_7305_Original.jpeg

Hi. Can you post the actual out of camera files in Dropbox or One Drive. 

That way we can examine all the parameters. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon has the R100 refurb available for $400 and the EF-R adapter refurb for $80.

Good package as long as you can be assured that the lens will work with the adapter.

Do you have a store you could go to to try?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Thanks for your input, I do not have a store nearby to try it but I will look at the R100. I’m wondering if the lens is too out of date to be useful. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Yes, a newer camera body (R-series line) will indeed provide you much better ISO performance."

This may be true on the surface but not in practice. A better or newer camera with newer tech is no guarantee you will get better pictures. Especially if you continue to use incorrect settings.

"I have a Canon Rebel t3i and recently purchased a used Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8mm Di VC USD lens ..."

Your combo is pretty decent and will provide you with good results but we need to tweak your settings. First admit that sometimes the camera is smarter than you think.

"I shoot in manual at f2.8 ISO1600 1/500 shutter speed in Al Servo."

Why? Let's try something different. Set the Rebel T2i to Av mode, now in Av mode you need to select an aperture so let's try f4 but you may need to alter that depending on lighting in the gym. The T3i will now selects the correct SS for correct exposure. Set the ISO at 1600 but again be prepared to adjust it up or down depending on light. Now very important never use Ai-servo always use One Shot and just the center focus point. Turn the other off. I suspect that is the main cause you aren't getting real sharp pictures. In One Shot the T3i locks focus but in Ai-servo it doesn't.

You sound like you probably know your way around the T3i to do these setting corrections but if you don't consult your manual or come back here and ask how. At least let me know how it goes. OK?

"Another parent shoots with a Nikon 70-300mm f4.5 and gets as good if not better results."

I am/was a Nikon user for many years and I suspect she has a similar Nikon to your Rebel. Like a D3500 also with kit lens? I can confidently tell you, you have a better outfit than she does, by far, better. I would take yours over hers without doubt.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you so much. I will try using aperture priority and change the focus mode. I would much rather have the answer be user error rather than equipment error!

Announcements