cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera body upgrade? - Upgrade advice from EOS Rebel T3i

Vannoyes182
Contributor

I have been trying to get good photos of my sons wrestling matches. I have a Canon Rebel t3i and recently purchased a used Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8mm Di VC USD lens which can know is a dinosaur but it has the f2.8 and my budget was under $500 so this fit the bill. My photos are better but still not as sharp as I’d like. I shoot in manual at f2.8 ISO1600 1/500 shutter speed in Al Servo. The photos are quite grainy but I fix this as much as I can while editing. Do I need to upgrade my camera body? If so, what would you recommend? I’d like to stay around $400 and used or refurbished is fine. Another parent shoots with a Nikon 70-300mm f4.5 and gets as good if not better results. Her camera body is newer so I’m wondering if that’s my problem. Any advice? Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is your other shot after camera raw filter in PS.

IMG_7305_Original copy.jpg

There is quite a lot of grain which can only be reduced a certain amount especially when editing a reduced resolution jpg. But the shot is not that bad is it?

When dealing with humans really high SS is usually not needed. I would try 1/250, you used 1/500, which would give you a one stop advantage and let you lower the ISO to 800. Moot points if you use Auto ISO however. What would be a really great thing to do is get to the match way early and have a willing volunteer subject as a stand in and try several different settings. Your main goal is the get the aperture as high as possible and the ISO as low as possible. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements