cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Customer Service / EOS 5D Mark IV Powers On But Won't Take Photos

curtisspeer
Apprentice

I bought a brand new Canon 5D mark iv from B&H Photo in NY. I used the camera once and it stopped working. It powers up but does not take any pictures. I tried to return it to B&H and they told me that they do not accept returns. So I mailed the body to Canon only to have it returned with a note reading "extensive damage" and they refused to address the problem nor tell me what the problem actually is. So now I sit here with a $3k camera body and no help. 

5 REPLIES 5

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi curtisspeer,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having such a frustrating time with your camera. For concerns with B&H's return policy you will need to speak to them.

If you want to discuss your specific repair order you will need to call our phone support team at 1-800-652-2666 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday.

If the technicians find that working on the equipment would cost more than what the equipment is worth they will not do any work on it. In that case they would return the equipment back to you as is unrepaired and the only option available for it would be the Canon Upgrade Program.

If you want to use the Canon Upgrade Program it allows you to replace your current camera with a new or refurbished Canon camera for a discounted price and have it shipped via ground delivery. The cameras offered through this program carry a one year warranty.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided. If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Saturday. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Sorry for the trouble you are having. I have made it a practice when buying any product is to confirm the warranty terms and return policy. I also save the receipt, stapled to the inside of the owner's manual. Adding: I make sure the product is registered if needed.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What were you doing when the camera ceased working?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In defense of B&H, they do allow returns within 30 days if your purchase is defective.  I returned an expensive NAS that had a broken memory slot.  They offered return or replacement.  After the 30 days, the manufacturer's warranty kicks in.  Canon offers a 1 yr. no BS warranty against manufacturer defects on its cameras/lenses.  If they can't repair it, they will replace it.  Damage caused by abuse or neglect is a different story.  

Extensive damage is what exactly?  Canon is not in the mystery repair business.  Just tell us what you were doing.  If you lead a life full of risk (ie skydiving, scuba diving with leaky underwater housing, etc), Care Packs often cover unforeseen, or unanticipated acts of god.  They are great piece of mind and let you use your equipment to the fullest extent possible.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... B&H, they do allow returns within 30 days if your purchase is defective."

I have bought a lot of gear from B&H and Adorama over the past decades and had no trouble returning anything. Ever! Not even if you just didn't like the item. Of course these retail stores do have limits if they believe you caused the damage. They are all in business to make a profit.

"Extensive damage is what exactly?"

I have also found Canon service (decades worth) to do whatever they could to make me happy. All companies should be like Canon. But again they are in business to make a profit so there are limits.  "... only to have it returned with a note reading "extensive damage" and they refused ...", they must have concluded your cameras was out of warranty or damage was due to abuse or misuse. You did not mention how long ago you bought the camera

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements