cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the M200 and M6 MII being discontinued? WHY??

BigDaddy
Apprentice

Good Day,

Team - I recently have caught the photography bug and jumped into a Canon 850D and love it. Now I am looking into a smaller camera with interchangeable lenses and saw that Canon has the M200 and M6 MII. They both are a small form factor camera with interchangeable lenses but so far 3 camera shops I went to told me to not even bother with that model. Canons is apparently going to discontinue these models and the support to them. I am validating if this is true, if so then what they are recommending me to get the Fuji film X-T30II instead as it will be around for much longer. Can anyone validate if this is the case and will Canon be giving the Axe to the small form factor Mirrorless with interchangeable lenses? Carrying a 50lb backpack and a small form factor camera is better than having to carry a 50lb pack and then another 10lb pack for camera gear.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera (canonrumors.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

Hi all! 👋

For the record:

• Canon USA is still actively selling the EOS M200 as of April 2023. See our site for current inventory: https://canon.us/3m5rJUc 
  • When a product is "discontinued," it indicates it's no longer being manufactured, not that support for it is ending. Here at Canon USA, we typically retire a product after about ten years of life.  

I only know about the current policies and procedures for Canon USA. Operations can (and likely will) differ in other countries and regions. If you're not in the USA and have questions, contact Canon in your area by visiting canon.us/globalsupport 

I hope this is helpful! 😊

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon has discontinued another EOS M camera (canonrumors.com)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

BigDaddy
Apprentice

Guess I will have to carry two different branded systems, one for on-the-go compact form and the other for home and local action. TY @shadowsports

slinky
Contributor

More like total lack of Canon support.

I relatively recently bought the m200, which was a better option at the time than I could get to replace a pocket camera I had from another manufacturer. I regret looking at Canon, probably the result of it's past history that made me jump.

Great size and a few features would really make it even more of a winner. Not a single firmware update since its release in 2019. Far fewer video modes that are even more basic than the mobile phone I had that was produced in 2018. No 24 fps in 1080p.

I should have saved the money to buy something else but at least I only splurged on a pancake lens. Not again. I also saw many of the EF-M lenses are out of stock, etc. Disappointment from a once great brand, almost instant  obsolescence of a new camera.

Hi all! 👋

For the record:

• Canon USA is still actively selling the EOS M200 as of April 2023. See our site for current inventory: https://canon.us/3m5rJUc 
  • When a product is "discontinued," it indicates it's no longer being manufactured, not that support for it is ending. Here at Canon USA, we typically retire a product after about ten years of life.  

I only know about the current policies and procedures for Canon USA. Operations can (and likely will) differ in other countries and regions. If you're not in the USA and have questions, contact Canon in your area by visiting canon.us/globalsupport 

I hope this is helpful! 😊

I am glad to hear this, main reason I brought this up is after going to camera store and being told not to buy them due to being discontinued and nit supported anymore by sales staff. Guess I'll just buy them online and not trust camera stores at all, seems all they want to do is sell/upsell based on commission.

Thank you.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You see the problem people have even when just an updated camera comes out is, they seem to think their old gear ceases to work or is somehow inferior. The fact is the old gear discontinued or not still works as well and exactly like it always has. My old, very old, 1D (that's right no numbers after the D) still takes beautiful photos although it is decades old with several model upgrades since. Not with standing the fact Canon doesn't support it.

My advice is use your gear and enjoy it for why you bought it. Doesn't matter what Canon does with future products yours is still as good as the day you decided to buy it. In fact sometimes you can score some good deals and savings out of all this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

normadel
Authority
Authority

I'm sure Canon, as any other manufacturer, does not stop selling discontinued models. They'll be sold until they are all gone from their warehouses.  And if dealers still have them, it's even longer.

The EOS 1V film camera was discontinued in 2018 but you could still get a new one from Canon until a couple years ago. They sure don't throw away discontinued models. 

Announcements