cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Shutter Locking up in Live view

amandabarrett
Contributor

Hello! I've done a bit of searching  but can't find this exact situation..

I have a canon 5d Mark IV.. I haven't checked shutter count in a while but it's very unlikely at it's life by now  (very low volume photographer).  The issue just happened the first time a couple days ago but again recently and it's the same situation:

I switched the setting to allow using external flash with live view mode (specifically for overhead shots where it's easier for me to do that than hover over littles on the ground... I'm short ok! lol).  I use an einstein with a trigger... after a few shots, the shutter will lock up and then I have to remove the battery to reset it and switch back to normal shooting.  It would make my life so much easier if I could use live view and it trigger the flash.  Anyone experience this issue? Is it a sign my shutter's going out?  It ONLY happens in live view with flash. I hasn't happened any other time.  I do have a few important sessions coming up and my backup isn't my fave, so I'm wondering if this is just not compatible shooting method, or if I need to look at replacing the shutter?
Thanks for your time and the help!!

Amanda B
9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Have you tried resetting the camera back to factory default. Including all of the custom functions back to factory default. Also what firmware version are you on too. After the reset try using live view with no flash then try with flash to see if it happens again. Are you sure its not the mirror dropping back down and not the shutter.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

amandabarrett
Contributor

Omg, I think it is the mirror dropping -  I am goofy LOL  ... that's a whole different thing.. so any tips for that?  It's the mirror getting locked up 😂  Thank you for calling my attention to that

Amanda B

When this happens again look through the viewfinder and see if its still dark when in live view. If its not dark and you can see through the lens there's your problem. In live view the mirror is locked up and the viewfinder will be dark. Have you checked your battery too. Low battery charge can cause the camera act the way you describe.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Ok this happened using live view in BOTH of my last two sessions but now I can't replicate it 😞 Ha!!   The battery was full charge. I'll keep testing!

Amanda B

How old are these batteries. Batteries loose capacity overtime.

-Demetrius

Just a few years.. but they hold a charge very well - and it only ever happened with live view while using the flash.  I've used live view (though not a ton) without flash and it's never happened.  But oddly enough I just took about 50 images with flash on live view and it didn't happen. So strange.

Amanda B

What brand of speedlite or transmitter are you using Canon or 3rd Party.

-Demetrius

Cybersync with an Einstein strobe.  I've been using it for a couple years. Just changed the batteries on the trigger/receivers as well. Thank you so much for helping me troubleshoot this! I'm nervous for it to happen in another session and not be fixed. I can just not use live view with flash if it's not compatible, but it sure would be nice if I can trust it!! lol

Amanda B

How many fps are you shooting. A family friend of mine had batteries that would hold a charge. But the batteries were weak. They couldn't keep up with the high fps of the 7D Mark II. After he bought new batteries the problem went away.

-Demetrius

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements