cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Single Point AF

oliveJar
Contributor

Hello, I am a bird photographer. I just purchased an EOS R7 and like the subject tracking and eye detection AF. In my old EOS 80D I had the option to pick a single point and the camera would focus on that point only. I sometimes need this capability while photographing a single bird out of a flock. Is this sort of capability available on the R7? I cannot seem to find it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oliveJar
Contributor

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I got the camera set up the way i want.  I was able to get it to focus on a single bird or use eye tracking as desired.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You need to turn tracking off.

Screenshot 2022-11-30 193737.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I forgot to mention that I have have tracking and eye detect turned off by default and have set up buttons to enable/disable them. This doesn't seem to help.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying you can't select Single Point AF?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I have Single Point AF selected with tracking off but the camera still moves to other subjects.

You could give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@oliveJarwrote:

Hello, I am a bird photographer. I just purchased an EOS R7 and like the subject tracking and eye detection AF. In my old EOS 80D I had the option to pick a single point and the camera would focus on that point only. I sometimes need this capability while photographing a single bird out of a flock. Is this sort of capability available on the R7? I cannot seem to find it.

It should work almost identically as the DSLR.

Just remember, once you select a single AF point it does not change or move around on its own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

oliveJar
Contributor

I will try some things today or tomorrow to verify the settings and operation.

oliveJar
Contributor

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I got the camera set up the way i want.  I was able to get it to focus on a single bird or use eye tracking as desired.

firstmirrorless
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Can you tell me what you did to make the focus point stay in one place?

Announcements